Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

086acd885a2774ef61566a7ab8229b87.jpg

Was out roaming and found this

Has a couple of holes but unworn

30c191a0870315922247245fc5be5742.jpg

The color is hard to capture as the camera is not reading the green properly

It's the rare turtleneck with the turtleneck removed. This modification is something I believe was done on the QM level, as I have one just like this and a photo of my dad in N. Africa, where he and another member of his squadron both are wearing these.

A friend of mine who is no dummy on GI clothing believes the mods. were done by the individual, but I maintain I have seen too many like this, all deftly executed, and with some in a condition like this. The necks were unpopular and making them more user friendly was well within the ability of the QM to perform. But whatever the source of modification, it began life as the turtleneck.

But the actual knit stops.

Wasn’t cut.

I would need to see in person, Owen, but I have one and have seen others and they were all deftly modified (I think done on the depot level), whereby the high neck was removed and the knitting added to finish the new collar. The label is citing the spec. for the turtleneck, too.

Those I have seen are all from this contractor and have the contractor label and a woven black-and-gold size tag (the tag is typical of AAF clothing and likely added after the modification). I wonder if these may have been for the AAF, too; the woven label and seeing my dad and other squadron mates with these makes me think it is possible: the AAF could have found no need for the high neck in use with throat microphones.

• 5 months later...