Very Nice Balfour NFO Wing

Aussie-Wings

Hi all,

Just recieved a nice surprise w00t.gif A gift from a friend. A Naval Flight Officer's wing by Balfour. Nice addition to my naval collection.

Cheers,

AW.

post-4136-1230581352.jpg

Have seen one of these - think.gif - its drop dead beautiful, is it a newer version? Details are stunning.

Hi,

Yes it is a beautifully detailed wing. I do not know the age of this wing, maybe another member would know.

Cheers,

AW.

Aussie-Wings
Beautiful wing!! I have basically the same wing from a friend and he recieved it in the mid 60's.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Cheers,

AW.

Hi,

Yes it is a beautifully detailed wing. I do not know the age of this wing, maybe another member would know.

Cheers,

AW.

Hi, according to the Sept. 1968 issue of Naval Aviation News, the NFO wing officially replaced the Naval Aviation Observer on 1-1-69, that is when the NAO wing became 'obsolete'. I have groupings, from a USN and a USMC 'backseater' both of whom flew F-4's in Vietnam, they both had the 2 different sets of wings in their items. Hope this helps, Mark

teufelhunde.ret

In 74/75 the NAO wings were restored for use by Naval & Marine personnel engaged in "duty involving flying as observers and airborne command post crew members"

In establishing the NFO wings, these aviators were then considered line officers who would qualify as and go on to command squadrons and ships.

s/f Darrell