Service Personnel Not Recovered Following WWII for the UNITED STATES ARMY AIR FORCES - 20,080 *** WWII Not Recovered Total - 72688 ***

P-59A

https://www.dpaa.mil/Portals/85/Documents/WWIIAccounting/united_states_army_air_forces.html

This is the governments listing of KIA's MIA's not recovered for the USAAF in WW2. I came upon this list while looking for info on that 15th AAF Ike I have. If you think you have a USAAF KIA item you might want to run through this list to see if he is also MIA.

Salvage Sailor

Before we get off into conspiracy theory territory, many of the additional missing/bodies not recovered were USN/USMC personnel lost at sea and on the Pacific battlefields.

The source for this thread is the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency

at https://www.dpaa.mil// .

As Salvage Sailor notes above 31,121 were lost to the Navy, and 2,853 to the USMC.

For as large as the US Army was, their unrecovered losses were 16,717. This makes sense, as most of our losses for the were Army were a result of land based operations, making the recovery of remains more likely.

If nothing else, this illustrates how huge the scope of World War II really was.

Gil,

When you count up the number of soldiers who perished on Japanese Hell Ships when they were torpedoed as well as troop ships that went down in the Atlantic and Pacific, I would venture to say that the majority of soldiers who are still unaccounted for suffered the same fate as their brothers in the navy and marines.

Allan

Gil,

When you count up the number of soldiers who perished on Japanese Hell Ships when they were torpedoed as well as troop ships that went down in the Atlantic and Pacific, I would venture to say that the majority of soldiers who are still unaccounted for suffered the same fate as their brothers in the navy and marines.

Allan

Good thought.

Salvage Sailor

Gil,

Allan

Good thought.

Certainly a large number of the additional MIA's - Lost At Sea on the Hell Ships

Well done Allan