DM1975

Strange Goggles

I got these out of a trunk of my Great Grandfathers military things and I was wondering if they are military issue, and if so, what are they?

DSCF0780.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

Last year i picked up a pair of goggles in a German-made case marked 1916, but the goggles have no markings so I started searching the web to try to find out what they are. I must have looked at hundreds of photos of vintage googles, especially aviator's goggles and one thing I discovered is that it sems like no two WWI pilots wore the same type of goggles! There seemed to be all sorts in use. But I suspect many were made for other purposes, some probably were just the goggles-type "sunglasses: in use in that day by mountain climbers and others who wanted protection against the wind and sun. Yours look like they could be in that category. I think the official issue pilots goggles of WWI had big lenses.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Goggles were also a popular accessory in the early days of the automobile. Nice vintage goggles in any case!

Thanks for the info. I will try to do some more research also. I was hoping that they would have been something military but I was kinda doubting it myself.

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

donation2007.gif

During the period of those goggles, they WERE military. But, then, anything that worked was military! You have delved back into a period when there was no such thing as "government issue" because everything was catch-as-catch-can. Those goggles were probably worn by military aviators and civilian motorcycle enthusiasts at the same time. When you get back into the 1930's and earlier, there is no hard dividing line between civilian and military gear. DO NOT feel you made a bad buy. You didn't!

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

Thanks. I didn't buy them, they were part of my Great Grandfathers things my Grandmother gave me last week. She didn't even know what they were.

All eras

donation2007.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.