Distinguished Service Cross - 9889

Brian R

Here is an intriguing DSC that may be of interest to some here on the forum. It was listed on eBay a few months back but was pulled with all of their recent auction purges of US medals. While we should always judge the medal and not the story, this story is interesting. I'm guessing the chances this is a famously awarded medal are slim but check out the info below. I wonder of anyone knows and/or can confirm that Meyer's original DSC is still with the family. Nevertheless, I'd lover to hear feedback from the folks here. Its a very interesting DSC and surely WWII vintage.

Here is a US Distinguished Service Cross, possibly awarded to General John C. Meyer. John C. Meyer was a three-time awardee of the Distinguished Service Cross in World War II, earning it as a fighter pilot on May 8, 1944, September 11, 1944. And January 1, 1945. As a three time awardee, the cross includes two oak leaf devices.

The cross itself is numbered 9889, a slot-brooch example made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle Company. It includes two Oakleaves and shows some slight separation of the ribbon on the right slide of the brooch. Otherwise condition is excellent.

This cross recently came out of an old US Militaria collection, and was originally purchased at a weekly flea market in Queens, New York in the 1970s. Meyer, originally from Brooklyn, NY, resided for years in Forest Hills, Queens, near where this cross was obtained (he died in California on December 2, 1975). It was painstakingly researched by the most recent owner, where it was concluded that, of the three three-time awardees of World War II, only Meyer could have received this cross. This is based on it having two Oakleaves, its Queens source, as well as its number of 9889, a reasonable serial number for a May 1944 award.

Included is a biography of Meyer, copies of the general orders that detail some of his DSC and Silver Star awards, and a Certificate of Provenance from respected militaria and antiques dealer, Art Beltrone of Virginia. The certificate specifically states that this cross came from the advance collection, and originated from Queens in the 1970s. The certificate, however includes a small error stating that the cross is numbered 6886. This is clearly a minor mistake, given how the number can easily be interpreted upside down, and that DSC #6886 was a WWI award to Eric S. Olsen (102 Infantry, 26th Division), and produced by a totally different manufacturer (US Mint).

post-178066-0-16360800-1563652065.jpg

dave peifer

the pieces of the puzzle seem to fit,and it could very well be his.however thats too much speculation for me.unless the number could be traced some way you could never be sure...............dave

the pieces of the puzzle seem to fit,and it could very well be his.however thats too much speculation for me.unless the number could be traced some way you could never be sure...............dave

Thanks, for the reply, Dave. Indeed, I agree. I'm not sure it can ever get passed speculation, as much as it could be believable. It's just too bad its not in the traceable range.

Brian:

Your research satisfies me that the DSC 9889 was Meyer's award. There were only About 56 DSC OLCs based on Gleim's WW2 roster. There can't be more than 3 to 6 recipients of three Crosses.

I have the opposite problem. My DSC 9948 is known to be in the "5th Army Case Files". But nobody can find these records in the Archives. Regards, Ton Nier

Thanks, Tom. This is very helpful and I appreciate your reply. When I was first exposed to this cross, I remember researching the subject and found that there were only 3 awardees to be thrice awarded. I can't remember the details or awardees off hand, but the timing of the other recipients' awards didn't not seem to fit in with this cross. I will have to find that info out and report back. It really is an intriguing cross.

Tom is correct for WW II (only three received three awards of the DSC). During its entire history, only 15 people received three DSCs. They are:

CHAMPENY, Arthur S., Colonel (Infantry) (WIA) - WW II (2) and Korea (1)

CHILSON, Llewellyn M., Technical Sergeant (Infantry) - WW II

GUTHRIE, Murray K., First Lieutenant (Air Service) - WW I

HIRSCHFELDER, Chester J., Colonel (Infantry) - WW I (1) and WW II (2)

HOLLINGSWORTH, James F., Brigadier General - WW II (1) and Vietnam (2)

MacARTHUR, Douglas A., General of the Army - WW I (2) and WW II (1)

MacNIDER, Hanford, Brigadier General (WIA) - WW I (2) and WW II (1)

MEYER, John C., Lieutenant Colonel (Air Corps) - WW II

NELSON, Oscar B., First Lieutenant (KIA) - WW I

O’NEILL, Ralph A., Second Lieutenant (Air Service) - WW I

PRESTON, Glen A., Second Lieutenant (Air Service) - WW I

SEMMES, Harry H., Lieutenant Colonel (Armor) (WIA) - WW I (2) and WW II (1)

TACKABERRY, Thomas H., Colonel (Infantry) - Korea (1) and Vietnam (2)

VAN FLEET, James A., Major General - WW II

WHISNER, William T., Jr., Major, US Air Force - WW II (2) and Korea (1)

Brian:

The thought came to mind that you might verify your Meyer DSC/2 OLC by elimination of the other two candidates. Chilson and Van Fleet were well known in Army and public areas. So their triple DSCs might be on permanent display somewhere, or are still held by family/relatives. .It's worth a try, anyway. Regards, Tom Nier .

Yes, Tom. Thank you! I agree. It would also be interesting to know if Meyer's awards are still with the family.

This subject is one of the reasons it is interesting to know, at least generally, the trend for which crosses (by maker/number) were awarded when. As Chilson's first DSC came almost a year after Meyer's first, I'd be surprised if he was awarded one with a number as low as 9889. I'd guess these earlier awards were made before the push into Germany (when it seems most WWII DSC awards were made). Then again, it is only a guess as old stock could have certainly been awarded at various times - it all depended on what stock was shipped, and when and where. Nevertheless, I'd bee surprised to see a 9,000 numbered DSC award in the spring of 1945.