E.W. Stone Theatre Copy Knife / Possible Maker Named

Trinity

I have recently acquired a WW2 E.W. Stone theatre copy knife, which was made by another craftsman and not by Eugene Stone during the war. The handle has been cast to the hilt section of a M1906 Ames Cavalry Saber. What possibly makes this example more unique amongst other Stone theatre copies is that the blade is inscribed, From Sgt. J.W. Morgan / Camp J.H. Pendleton. Although this inscription in itself does not necessarily prove that Sgt. J.W. Morgan is the maker of this knife, I am wondering if there are any military history sleuths out there that might be able to find any information on this J.W. Morgan, who appears to have been stationed at Camp Pendleton at some point during WW2? If it can possibly be established that he worked in the metal shop or other industrial capacity job, it might provide ancillary proof that this knife was made by him. In any case, the skull pommel has the pig-nose configuration, which indicates the knife was more than likely a Marine to Marine presentation. Any help in finding more about Sgt. J.W. Morgan from Camp Pendleton, would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture of the letter of authenticity that Bill Stone wrote up on the knife. Thanks in advance if anyone can find information on Sgt. J.W. Morgan.

post-92846-0-35148800-1563557407_thumb.jpeg

I have recently acquired a WW2 E.W. Stone theatre copy knife, which was made by another craftsman and not by Eugene Stone during the war. The handle has been cast to the hilt section of a M1906 Ames Cavalry Saber. What possibly makes this example more unique amongst other Stone theatre copies is that the blade is inscribed, From Sgt. J.W. Morgan / Camp J.H. Pendleton. Although this inscription in itself does not necessarily prove that Sgt. J.W. Morgan is the maker of this knife, I am wondering if there are any military history sleuths out there that might be able to find any information on this J.W. Morgan, who appears to have been stationed at Camp Pendleton at some point during WW2? If it can possibly be established that he worked in the metal shop or other industrial capacity job, it might provide ancillary proof that this knife was made by him. In any case, the skull pommel has the pig-nose configuration, which indicates the knife was more than likely a Marine to Marine presentation. Any help in finding more about Sgt. J.W. Morgan from Camp Pendleton, would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture of the letter of authenticity that Bill Stone wrote up on the knife. Thanks in advance if anyone can find information on Sgt. J.W. Morgan.

Nice!!

Frank Trzaska

I would not spend time looking for that fellow in connection with making this knife. This knife in my opinion was recently made and is a fake.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Frank is right. I bought that knife here in this forum several years ago and earlier this year Frank sold it for me in consignment.

The knife has been modified since. When I owned it and when Frank sold it for me, it did not have a Eugene Stone grip copy. It had the original sword grip.

Obviously, we now know this knife was made recently and then sold as an original WW2 period copy and authenticated as such. Whether it was authenticated knowingly or in error, is besides the point. Out of respect for the process and due to privacy, this issue is now being handled outside of the public forum and I will not list any personal names.

Trinity,

Looking back on your topics see you are
knowledgeable on the subject of these Stone knives.
How did this counterfeit pass your inspection?

For sure these WW2 theater made Stone knives “Pig-Nose” is a knife to stay away from.

I can understand you not revealing names of person or persons who you received this
counterfeit from. Would think by now you have ideas who may be counterfeiting these
and other knives. This knife was sold earlier this year (2019) then it was reconfigured
now you own it.

Sgt. J.W. Morgan from Camp Pendleton, which seem to be original due to
topic Dec. 2009. Now Sgt. Morgan name is on a counterfeit knife, for sure his name does not deserve to be Degraded,
and forever commingled with this counterfeit.

Regards
John

Picture 3

Did the seller give you this letter? Was the seller the person who authenticated the knife? What is the pig nosed on the handle?That was a fast turnaround on the new handle.

Thanks

Dennis aka nifman

I told you all,so many years ago & was mocked ! You shall see ,as time goes by.

Cromwell

What did you say many years ago?

John

That's one of a few,their is a better one I started on this very subject. Now you got a checkmate. Either someone knows nothing of these type knives OR their the main source. You decide the truth...but to attack so many people on "reproductions" when the main reproductions are from but one main source,is so RUDE & misinformed. Don't ignore what's in front of you.

“It's all right in front of you. Someone don't know what's what or they totally know what's what. “

Cromwell,

What do mean by your reply see above?

Also do you believe EW Stone made Knives during WW2?

John