DSC on ebay

joeclown

DSC on ebay for Otto K. Zwingman ebay number is 192997050702. Sorry I don''t know how to post from ebay onto the forum. But i googled his name and came up with his history it is a very sad story, I am hoping someone here can post it all.

crotalus358

The headstone application identifies him as a PFC with the 508th PIR, with a KIA date of December 23, 1944.

He entered the service from Newy York City.

crotalus358

From Home of Heroes (https://homeofheroes.com/distinguished-service-cross/world-war-ii-distinguished-service-cross-recipients/distinguished-service-cross-wwii-army-x-y-z/), here is the DSC citation:

ZWINGMAN, OTTO K. (MIA-KIA)

Citation:
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Otto K. Zwingman (32815665), Private, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Company D, 2d Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, in action against enemy forces on 6 June 1944, in France. After landing by parachute before dawn on D-Day and joining a composite group which proceeded to carry out a battalion mission, Private Zwingman and two comrades served as an outpost in a building on the edge of Guetteville. When a battalion of German infantry, reinforced by tanks, approached from the west and placed machine guns and mortars in position, those three valiant men immediately opened fire on the enemy. Ordered to leave the post, they determined to hold out until the 30 men in the town had withdrawn. Private Zwingman assisted in holding the hostile force at bay for two hours, killing 15 Germans and wounding many others. His voluntary and courageous action delayed the enemy sufficiently to permit the main body of parachute troops to establish defensive positions to the east from which they were able to deny overwhelming German forces the opportunity of crossing the Merderet River. Private Zwingman is missing as a result of this action. His superb heroism and unselfish devotion to duty exemplifies the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, the 82d Airborne Division, and the United States Army.
Headquarters, First U.S. Army, General Orders No. 61 (1944)
Home Town: Bronx, New York

It looks like the area it's engraved on was recently cleaned as it doesn't match the rest of the patina. Might be shenanigans going on with this one.

smwinter207

$371 right now. I wouldn't touch this one. Doesn't seem WWII era, based on the BS medals I've seen engraved for the period.

This medal has been discussed before! I don't remember where I saw it but I am pretty sure this one was talked about on the forum! Seems very familiar!