2003 dated first pattern waist belt for medium and large ALICE rucksacks?

PaulS

I found this waist strap on one of my 70's dated ALICE rucksack frames. It looks like the 70's ALICE waist strap but has plastic adjustment buckles, stamped "STRAP, WAIST, MEDIUM FIELD PACK", "NSN 8465-00-268-0481" and a SPO100-03-M-EC38 contract number.

Does anyone know why this ruck sack part was manufactured so long after it was replaced by the "strap, waist, lower back" with integral waist belt in the early 80's.

post-9337-0-36350500-1563523532_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-07731500-1563523540_thumb.jpg

I found this waist strap on one of my 70's dated ALICE rucksack frames. It looks like the 70's ALICE waist strap but has plastic adjustment buckles, stamped "STRAP, WAIST, MEDIUM FIELD PACK", "NSN 8465-00-268-0481" and a SPO100-03-M-EC38 contract number.

Does anyone know why this ruck sack part was manufactured so long after it was replaced by the "strap, waist, lower back" with integral waist belt in the early 80's.

post-9337-0-85031300-1563523837_thumb.jpg

Isn't that the quick release version of the waist strap?

Possible made as sustainment stock for the remaining Alice pack that were still in service?

Isn't its purpose to be used as the waist strap for the medium Alice pack when worn frameless? Without frame you can't mount the lumbar pad and the attached belt, so you use this.

Isn't its purpose to be used as the waist strap for the medium Alice pack when worn frameless? Without frame you can't mount the lumbar pad and the attached belt, so you use this.

Thank you taucco and ranger69. your ideas are both sound but the first type waist strap was replaced in the early 80's. Seems like a long time to reintroduce it in 2003 for a frame waist pad that is not been made since 1977. As you probably know the waist strap post 1977 is an integral part of the waist pad for the LC1 packs. I don't think that I have seen them mentioned in either on pack instruction sheets or in the 1977 version of FM 21-15, where the waist strap is only mentioned as part of the frame.Has either of you ever seen a FM 21-15 dated past the 1977? I have a 1945 dated copy and have seen a 1956 dated version which I am interested in purchasing.