New TOP GUN trailer

Mr.Jerry

I'm sure it's going to draw some ire from people, but the flying sequences look great and for the nostalgia, I will definitely be going to see it when it comes out!

I was and still am a devoted Mission Impossible TV series fan from watching the original series as a kid back in the 60's. I have NEVER forgiven Cruise and the rest of the first MI movie folks for turning Mr Phelps into the bad guy. I haven't seen a Tom Cruise movie since. I am a mellow and forgiving guy most of the time, but don't screw with my childhood TV heroes!

Mikie

vintageproductions

The whole plot line strains credibility. Apparently the flight scenes make up for that.

Gil- Do you not remember the first one?

I didn't even realize there were plot lines.

I watched it just for the flight scenes.

Tom Cruise still has his original G1 leather Flight Jacket, maybe they will become fashionable again because of the new movie?

the leather flight jacket isnt in style like back in the 1980's

Tom Cruise still has his original G1 leather Flight Jacket, maybe they will become fashionable again because of the new movie?

the leather flight jacket isnt in style like back in the 1980's

Too many vegans now :)

I just noticed the patches on his leather jacket dont match the original jacket he wore in 1986 , they didnt need to make him try to look like it was 1986 again, that was almost 34 years ago.

Are Navy Captains not affected by up or out?

I know the Army had some very long tenured colonels.

But they weren't flying about the sky in high powered aircraft.

Flying jet fighters is a young man's game. If this was a straight timeline, Maverick would be pushing age 55 by now.

ocsfollowme

The patches on the jacket changed. Rumor is since China is a backer the Taiwan and Japanese flags came off.

We all still watch it for the flying scenes. Im sure the Navy and Air Force will easily reach their quotas on pilots next year!

The patches on the jacket changed. Rumor is since China is a backer the Taiwan and Japanese flags came off.

We all still watch it for the flying scenes. Im sure the Navy and Air Force will easily reach their quotas on pilots next year!

Lets hope you are right.

My first thought after seeing the trailer, is that it looks like it will be a fun movie to watch.

There is a much more important part to the movie then just being a good, in my opinion.

Top Gun inspired an entire generation of kids to learn to fly and get enthused about airplanes.

Many of you many not be aware of it, but there is a dramatic shortage of pilots and it is getting worse. The USAF is over a 1000 pilots short right now and the USN is feeling the effects too.

Current airline hiring will not keep pace with retirements and it is expected that the industry will be about 20,000 pilots short by 2026.

I have been flying jets for 30 years and I can tell you for a fact that we have seen a dramatic drop in applicants in the last few years in the DoD company I fly for. At one time, when we would open a pilot rec, we would generally get about 200 applicants, now its about 50.

Aviation careers take years to train for and are expensive with a fairly lengthy ladder to climb once within a company.

Seems the younger generations have a decreasing interest in this process, along with the rising costs to accomplish the task.

Even the aviation museums I am involved with are seeing a drop in the interest of younger generations. I know of some warbirds that are under threat of ceasing operations because there is no interest from young mechanics to donate time.

By the way, if you google pilot shortage, you will get all the numbers.

Another Top Gun is sorely needed right to try to motivate and inspire the younger generations to fly.

Given the high level of enthusiasm Tom Cruise has for aviation, lets hope it does just that...AGAIN!

John

PS Aviation maintenance technicians are in heavily declining numbers as well.

Looks good. It will need to have some magic to beat the original though! Great air to air just as the early movie, Music? Need a great theme that will make the young guys and gals listen.

Lets all go see it!

Apparently it is more than just a rumor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/media/top-gun-flags-intl-hnk/index.html

phantomfixer

they traded the volleyball scene for a football scene???...cut out all the fluff and give us the jets and helmets

I didn't realize it at first, but the photo that opened this thread shows the altered Japan and Taiwan flags on the cruise (no pun intended) jacket.

From the CNN article... https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/media/top-gun-flags-intl-hnk/index.html

I just realized something else as well for the first time... the large jacket patch if for the USS Galveston... a Galveston-class guided missile cruiser. As cool as that patch is, why would a fly boy be wearing that?

Top Gun patches.jpg

For any of you who lived in Hawaii 20 years ago, you might of have gone to Doug Boyer's Military Shop of Hawaii down near Waikiki.

I was talking to either him or someone in his store and the subject of flight jackets came up, of which he had several in stock. I guess I was wondering who would want a leather flight jacket in balmy Hawaii?

"The Japanese buy them" he said with a smile. I guess I commented they were priced fairly reasonably and the grin got even bigger.

"It's the patches. As soon as I sell a flight jacket, they immediately want all the patches to go with it... just like in Top Gun!". And that, along with sewing fees, was where the mark up came in. Actually, I thought it was very clever. I wonder how many of these jackets today are still wandering around Japan having come from Doug's shop.

It's probably true. I used to work for an educational toy company. When they moved the production line to China, the Chinese refused to make our line of smart globes unless the globe clearly showed Taiwan as being a part of Mainland China. We ended up having the globes made elsewhere.

For any of you who lived in Hawaii 20 years ago, you might of have gone to Doug Boyer's Military Shop of Hawaii down near Waikiki.

I was talking to either him or someone in his store and the subject of flight jackets came up, of which he had several in stock. I guess I was wondering who would want a leather flight jacket in balmy Hawaii?

"The Japanese buy them" he said with a smile. I guess I commented they were priced fairly reasonably and the grin got even bigger.

"It's the patches. As soon as I sell a flight jacket, they immediately want all the patches to go with it... just like in Top Gun!". And that, along with sewing fees, was where the mark up came in. Actually, I thought it was very clever. I wonder how many of these jackets today are still wandering around Japan having come from Doug's shop.

Brilliant strategy!