WWII/Korea Kentucky Military Institute Uniform

36thIDAlex

Found this uniform set today in Lexington, Kentucky. The jacket is a very heavy wool, what I have found in photos to be 1930s-1950s style cadet cut and features a wool KMI and ROTC patch. There is a star on one sleeve, of which I am not sure of the meaning, a deep purple fourrage, and buttons featuring our state seal. The set was made by an Irving L. Wilson of Pennsylvania and is named to a John C. Adkins. I was not able to find him in any of the online yearbooks and have emailed the alumni association for further information.

If anyone knows on how to properly date these kind of uniforms or any other information on the parts of the jacket, please feel free to help. As a Kentucky native I was very excited to get this uniform. The institute had a very interesting history in the state and Ive not found too many items from the school.

229c799b5f20f60c8289c5f455e55fc2.jpg

5fdadf6159474d2fd0e41fa0b8a2dfee.jpg

4c68cfc777efa74ade66d9e737c9d10b.jpg

2db960736fdf84d8701c3848cc4ff9ad.jpg

ec709ad6b3cffeb520796206ea94ec8c.jpg

3f8bfd587625df37927a68a4461a57fb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Allow me to resurrect this thread from the grave.   I was an eighth grader at KMI its last yr of existence, 1971.   

I believe the Star on the sleeve designates that cadet Adkins was in Headquarters Co. 

The purple fourrage was for being a member of the marching band. 

Uniform of cadet John Crawford Adkins, Class of '58.   

I was in both Hdqtrs Co and the band.  The star was a pin by the time I came along. 

I have deceased uncle who was Class of '29,  a cousin by marriage who is Class of '54 and his grandfather was a KMI grad Class of 1898.

My 1 year at KMI was Great, I really regret I could not graduate from there.  In its hey day it was prestigious.  I came back the following year for my freshman yr at the "new" co-ed 'Ky Academy'.  Did Not like it... came back home to local private school the following yr.

Here is my blouse ( I have 2 pairs of pants as well, and shirts lol )  The Green and White fourrage was for being in the 'military police' unit - i.e. Direct Traffic at sporting events, etc lol

Blouse.jpg

Blouse star.jpg

4 hours ago, Scrumm21 said:

Allow me to resurrect this thread from the grave.   I was an eighth grader at KMI its last yr of existence, 1971.   

I believe the Star on the sleeve designates that cadet Adkins was in Headquarters Co. 

The purple fourrage was for being a member of the marching band. 

Uniform of cadet John Crawford Adkins, Class of '58.   

I was in both Hdqtrs Co and the band.  The star was a pin by the time I came along. 

I have deceased uncle who was Class of '29,  a cousin by marriage who is Class of '54 and his grandfather was a KMI grad Class of 1898.

My 1 year at KMI was Great, I really regret I could not graduate from there.  In its hey day it was prestigious.  I came back the following year for my freshman yr at the "new" co-ed 'Ky Academy'.  Did Not like it... came back home to local private school the following yr.

Here is my blouse ( I have 2 pairs of pants as well, and shirts lol )  The Green and White fourrage was for being in the 'military police' unit - i.e. Direct Traffic at sporting events, etc lol

Blouse.jpg

Blouse star.jpg

Wow! Gonna be honest never expected this thread to reopen again but I really appreciate the insight! I’ll have to look into the graduate now that you’ve found his full name. Really great to also know the meaning behind that insignia. I’ve still got the set in my closet and always liked the look of it, thanks much for sharing all that and your very tasteful uniform as well!

cool info Patches.........

Alex I was searching for old newpaper articles mentioning my uncle, who was the 1929 kmi grad, when I came across the link to this post.

Allow me to bore ya with a quick story.  In '78 I went to Louisville for another reason, but stopped off 1st at the old KMI campus. ( which sat unused for about a year ).  After 'visiting' old classrooms etc, I stopped by my old dorm room on my way back to my car.  Opened the door and there on the floor someone had dumped literally All the photos used over the years in yearbooks and newspaper articles  ( kmi got a lot of press back in the day ).   I was running late but took a couple minutes and rummaged through the photos and pulled out the 'oldest' ones I could find.  I have kmi sports team photos dating back to 1910.  Now - The Good Part.  While most photos were sports team pics, for some reason I grabbed a 'Senior class photo'.  A few days later I was showing my mother all the pics I brought back - she gets to the Senior class photo and within seconds I hear " Oh - there's your uncle Forrest "  What were the Odds !!!      Another few days later I am showing the pics to my uncle who was amazed that I happened to grab That particular pic.   He passed 6 months later.  See It below

Uncle Forrest is third from the left, back row of class pic,  and me showing it and the other pics to him days later and pic of 1910 Baseball team

1929 seniors KMI.jpg

Uncle Forrest and Me.jpg

1910sbaseballteampic.jpg

.... One more quick note.... I mentioned searching for article about my Uncle.... in '29 he was considered one of the states top running backs and had a scholarship to the Univ. of Louisville... BUT he eloped with his sweetheart right after graduation and never played ..... they were married 49 yrs.  Lived in St Matthews for decades.

The year I went they didn't go to Venice Fla for winter break as they knew the school was about to fold.