M1903 Sabre Hanger

After a couple of years I was able to find a sabre hanger to complete a M1912 NCO pistol belt, but I need some explication. Robinb told me this hanger with its narrow clip is not strictly suitabile for the M1912 belt but for cartridge belts with small sabre ring. Would it really be out place on my belt? When I got it the keepers were loose and leather loops undone. After a Pecard treatment I pushed keepers up to cover rivets near the clip and closed the loops. Now the question is: are spring hooks for sabre missing or leather is directly looped on sabre rings? Help please!

post-67-1173164370.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The sabre hanger you show is correct for the cartridge belt with ring. Enlisted soldier's saber hangers did not usually have hooks and were attached directly to the scabbard rings. When it was desireable to detach the saber the whole hanger was detached from the belt.

Here is two examples of the hook arrangement from two different manufacturer's NCO belts. The hook is wider than the one on your hanger.

post-85-1173181051.jpg

Hanger attached to NCO belt.

post-85-1173181082.jpg

Artu44,

The sabre hangers that you show are, I believe, enlisted items of issue. What is the marking on the leather strap near the top of the short strap? Any other markings? These would help identify them better.

As Canteen Guru points out these straps could be worn with or without ring spring hooks (hooks or snaps) to attach them to the scabbard. I would expect Officer or NCO straps to have spring hooks. So, I suppose it depends upon how you wish to display them.

Here is a similar set of hangers to yours with snap hooks.

Sword_hanger_brown_EM.JPG

A view of the top of the hangers showing the belt clip and regain hook with the straps attached with standing loops.

Sword_hanger_brown_EM_regain.JPG

A view of the top of a similar set of hangers showing the belt clip and regain hook but this one has the straps attached with copper rivets. This set also has snap hooks.

Sword_hanger_EM_regain.JPG

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Here are a few varieties of spring hooks.

Gilt Officer spring hook.

Art_Off_bullion_sword_hanger_clips.JPG

Spring hook with tumb tab.

Brown_sword_hanger_snap.JPG

Heavy spring hook with screw.

Sword_hanger_snap.JPG

Light spring hook with screw.

Off_black_sword_hanger_snap_close.JPG

There are others of course.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The only marking is a big "24".

If I remember well these pics appeared some year ago on Gunboard forum together this one where a narrow clip is hooked to an NCO pistol belt. I see that proper hanger should have the larger clip but is the narrow one completely out of place? My hanger too has leather attched by means of brass rivets but I covered rivets with leather keepers. As regards spring hooks, I had notice that my hanger has a bigger loop than the Sarge's one so it's possible hooks were no forecast.

post-67-1173203713.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The NCO belt in post #5 is from my accumulation and the attachment point of the snap only appears to be narrow because of the way I angled the hanger to one side for the image.

Snap hooks were available from military outfitters and officers usually acquired them as they were much more convenient than detaching by opening the straps, removing the studs and loops.

Here are two examples of M1903 enlisted soldier's sabre hangers. One with simple twist on/off snap hooks. The right example is the more typical issue hanger without snap hooks.

post-85-1173226580.jpg

Detail of marking on strap: R.I.A., 1908, T.C.

post-85-1173226773.jpg

Well, gentlemen, thank you. At some point in 1941, my late father, a Navy fighter pilot, was issued a belt and holster to go along with a .45. These were all issued either during the Atlantic Neutrality patrols period or shortly before USS Yorktown (CV-5) left Norfolk the week after PH for the Pacific and history. The holster is stamped, as was routine, with the squadron designation, VF-42, but the belt has this curious ring rivetted on the left side. I long ago asked him about it and he, good Army Brat that he was (his father retired as a Colonel in 1935), said it was to do with an Army saber hanging arrangement. That answer has held me fine all these years and I never bothered to pursue the question or the 'how did they use that?" part of the equation. Now it is all clear.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.