How do I find info on a vet?

tully216

I picked up what I believe is a Paramarine dress blues and a huge Captured Japanese flag etc. I have a photo of his grave stone at the National Cemetery and was advised he was on Iwo Jima. That is about all I know. Doing a search on this forum I see talk of guys getting records and searching for info. Is thereanyone on here that would mind helping if I were to give his info : John J. McGovern SGT. USMC DOB July 21, 1923 Died Apr. 22, 2009. Purple Heart.

I have collected for years but have never tried to do this, sorry for such a novice request!

Best Regards,

Mark

I recently used Renew History to find someone for me. He charged $100 for his service and has found a ton of information on the vet. Way more information than I was able to find.

jeremiahcable

Join Ancestry.com and you can look up pretty much any marine who served up through 1958. A better long term investment than $100 for someone else to do it.

Mark,

I agree with Jeremiah, purchase a subscription to Ancestry first, then if you want more detailed information such as his full personnel file, you can contact a researcher. If you don't wish to purchase a subscription, check with your local library to see if they have an ancestry account. Many libraries have an Ancestry account that you can access from the terminals inside the library.

Thank you for all the replies! I will look into the Ancestry route. Mes thanks for the info on the fact he was a Paramarine, made my hoping a reality!! The flag that came with the uniform is big.I will have to measure it, its larger than any of my other ones. I will try and post photos as soon as I can. My first Paramarine item, I have always been partial to Airborne my Dad was a Rakasan in Korea 187th.

Thanks Again,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

MC GOVERN JOHN JOSEPH 385303 21-OCT-43 HQ CO, 1ST PARP BN, 1ST PARA REGT, QST MAC, FMF, SOLOMON ISLANDS WIA TAB MCGO-MCGR

From the casualty rosters

And yes, if you're going to collect named USMC, an Ancestry account is a necessity

• 3 weeks later...