Study: USN WWII Gray Uniforms 1943-1949

My uncle made Chief in 1943. He loved the Grays! Most of the guys he knew did also. Many, who already had khaki chose to stay with khaki because they didnt want to spend the money to replace what they had. My uncle said that, The Army and Marines wore khaki, who wants to look like them?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true! The details of the hats slipped my mind (a good reason not to post when tired and awaiting a medical test :lol: )

I also forgot to add, where the "undress" combination cap was appropriate, a garrison cap of the corresponding color could be substituted.

King liked to tinker with uniforms. When he was COMCARDIV he made officers wear whites on top with blue trousers and black shoes in warm weather. It was not popular, but when he became CNO he made it official as Service Dress E. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of that combination in the wild.
He also had his own unique whites, basically a white version of a khaki or gray jacket, with a white shirt and black tie.

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

That embroidered breast badge is great! The boards would have been interesting, this officer was probably wearing the uniform in merchant service. The USN regs of the day were very clear that the merchant marine reserve insignia "shall not be worn with the naval uniform."

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 3 weeks later...

That's my thinking too, that this is a USMS uniform and would have had Merchant Marine boards.

It has USN buttons though.

I’m looking for some gray USMS gray boards myself. I have USN, USCG, and USPHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Participants of the TRIDENT Conference on the lawn of the White House on May 24, 1943. Admiral King can be seen wearing the gray uniform in contrast to the other three American officers all wearing khaki.
The photo caption reads: "The president and prime minister with their Combined Chiefs of Staff at the White House on May 24, 1943, the last day of the TRIDENT conference. Standing from left to right: Field Marshal Sir John Dill, the senior British officer stationed in Washington; Lieutenant General Sir Hastings L. “Pug” Ismay, chief of staff to Churchill; Air Chief Marshal Sir Charles F.A. Portal, chief of the British air staff; General Sir Alan Brooke, chief of the Imperial General Staff; Admiral Sir Dudley Pound, the British First Sea Lord; Admiral William D. Leahy, Roosevelt’s chief military adviser; General George C. Marshall, the U.S. Army chief of staff; Admiral Ernest J. King, the U.S. chief of naval operations; Lieutenant General Joseph T. McNarney, an Army Air Forces pilot who served as Marshall’s deputy chief of staff. The senior AAF commander, General H.H. “Hap” Arnold, spent the conference in the hospital for treatment of a heart condition.”

post-1761-0-93115300-1571770317_thumb.jpg

The staff officers of Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King, U. S. Navy, ascend steps to their quarters near the "Little White House" (residence of President Harry S. Truman during the Potsdam Conference) in Babelsburg, Germany. Left front, Vice Admiral G. M. Cooke, Jr. Chief of Staff for Cominch; right front, Rear Admiral H. L. Naples of the Military Mission to Moscow; left rear, Captain A. S. McDill, aide-de-camp to Cominch; and right rear, Commander E. J. Gough, Medical Corps, U. S. Naval Reserve.

post-1761-0-63507400-1571772981_thumb.jpg

This topic is great. I am fascinated by King and am currently reading master of Sea Power. Very complex man. I really like the gray uniform. It is amazing how many people have no knowledge of this uniform.

Anyway below is a pair of Ensign shoulder boards I recently purchased.

post-154098-0-94749100-1571774659.png

"Even Patton had bad days; days he just felt like slapping someone." - Hawkeye Pierce

Admiral Ernest J. King (CNO/COMINCH), center, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz (CINPAC-POA), left, and Admiral William F. Halsey (COMSOPACFOR), right, at CINPAC HQ, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, 28 September 1943, when King held conferences there.

post-1761-0-30178500-1571777077_thumb.jpg