Study: USN WWII Gray Uniforms 1943-1949

Ricardo

WW2 Chiefs at sea. Looks like the 2 standing have gray covers on their caps, and the one sitting with the dog has khaki. Love this pic. 

84B30734-AB66-4E99-B138-FCC3074FEA90.jpeg

6 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

WW2 Chiefs at sea. Looks like the 2 standing have gray covers on their caps, and the one sitting with the dog has khaki. Love this pic. 

84B30734-AB66-4E99-B138-FCC3074FEA90.jpeg

What's not to like? The chiefs have beards, are wearing dungarees and the guy on the right is sporting a leather flight jacket. Great photo!

3 hours ago, 67Rally said:

What's not to like? The chiefs have beards, are wearing dungarees and the guy on the right is sporting a leather flight jacket. Great photo!

The Chief on the left is wearing a life belt. Must be a Pit Snipe, Top Side for his “Weekly Airing”. The Chief with the Jacket, does not appear to be wearing a shirt, just a Skivvy shirt. 

1 hour ago, sigsaye said:

The Chief on the left is wearing a life belt. Must be a Pit Snipe, Top Side for his “Weekly Airing”. The Chief with the Jacket, does not appear to be wearing a shirt, just a Skivvy shirt. 

Good point on the snipe CPO! He is probably already sun-scorched just posing for the photo.

• 1 month later...

After looking at the rest of this photo, please note that, standing on the back of the mount is a Chief or officer “Supervising” the gun maintenance. He’s wearing Grays with the Garrison Cap. 

49DA8863-0A80-49C9-A460-5E768B9B7E11.jpeg

On 4/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, 67Rally said:

Good point on the snipe CPO! He is probably already sun-scorched just posing for the photo.

LOL!  Yeah, I knew lots of those guys that shunned the Sun like Vampires!  My dad was a Snipe. He started as an S2/c, was drafted to the QM gang by the CQM, because he was small and skinny, (Depression kid from rural Kentucky) and could reach behind the chart table to clean. He decided he needed to learn a trade. They didn’t need him as a cook, ( his brother was on the same ship as the CCS), so went to engineering, working as a Water Tender. Hated that, and struck EM. Stayed out of the pits as much as he could

Salvage Sailor
2 hours ago, sigsaye said:

LOL!  Yeah, I knew lots of those guys that shunned the Sun like Vampires!  My dad was a Snipe. He started as an S2/c, was drafted to the QM gang by the CQM, because he was small and skinny, (Depression kid from rural Kentucky) and could reach behind the chart table to clean. He decided he needed to learn a trade. They didn’t need him as a cook, ( his brother was on the same ship as the CCS), so went to engineering, working as a Water Tender. Hated that, and struck EM. Stayed out of the pits as much as he could

SNIPE - Attached to the oil filter on the Caterpillar diesels in the engine room, USS BOLSTER (ARS-38)

CatFilter.JPG.e13c159db87e7f439527307a080d99f3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hospital Corps officers (or warrant pharmacists) in grays and another officer in khakis during a pressure chamber test.

08_27_29-80-G-K-15010.png.c316f4863be7242458fd5e8d220be772.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A lieutenant watching pistol shooting competition during VJ celebrations on HMS King George V. Unfortunately you can't tell whether the sleeves are rolled up or shortened. I'd guess rolled up.

gray_1945_kg5.png.6d081524a8fdd452c04bd689edab62db.png

I'm curious if anyone on here would be interested in this. I just picked up a pristine Palm Beach grey uniform (with commander Medical Corps shoulder boards). It's too large for me, and before I return it, I thought someone on here might really dig it. I've never seen or even heard of a USN grey in Palm Beach which is what made me jump. 

PM me. I'm super picky about such things and this thing really is practically like new.

• 1 month later...

Photos from the 1945 yearbook of the 301st Naval Construction Battalion. Several of the officers and warrant officers appear to have gray caps.  

Navy Gray Uniform.301st Naval Construction Battalion.Guam.Yearbook.1945.1.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.301st Naval Construction Battalion.Guam.Yearbook.1945.2.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.301st Naval Construction Battalion.Guam.Yearbook.1945.4.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.301st Naval Construction Battalion.Guam.Yearbook.1945.5.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.301st Naval Construction Battalion.Guam.Yearbook.1945.6.jpg

Photos from a World War II unit history show officers and warrant officers of the 40th Naval Construction Battalion wearing a combination of uniforms. 

Navy Gray Uniform.40th Naval Construction Battalion.1.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.40th Naval Construction Battalion.2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, US82Bravo said:

RE:  Chief Petty Officer Lynn Padgett

I was curious about CPO Padgett's service, so did some additional research.  Found the following which conflict with some of the War Museum data:

Chief Padget did not spend his entire service aboard the Finback.  Muster Roll entries show assignment to the USS Drum (Flag) and to the USS Plunger (CSD-43 Flag) as well as the Finback.  Additionally, his rating is shown as RT (Radio Technician) or CRT (Chief Radio Technician) until 26 November 45 when it is changed to "CETM" (Chief Electronics Technicians Mate).  His 'designator' was not Electricians Mate.

Larry

Interesting. The “ET” rate did not exist until 1948. There was no “ETM”. There were no “Electronics Technicians Mates”. When the “ET” rate was established, it was broken down to “ETR”, (Electronics Technician Radar) and “ETN”,  (Electronics Technician Communication). As a former Radio Technician, I’m guessing he was an ETN, and there is a typo somewhere. 

In  John Stacey's book on ratings, it says there was an Electronics Technician's Mate from 1945 - 1948. as set by BPCL 35-45, 31 October 1945.

Here is the announcement in All Hands Dec 1945

Web capture_22-10-2022_1045_media.defense.gov.jpeg

2 hours ago, 29navy said:

In  John Stacey's book on ratings, it says there was an Electronics Technician's Mate from 1945 - 1948. as set by BPCL 35-45, 31 October 1945.

Here is the announcement in All Hands Dec 1945

Web capture_22-10-2022_1045_media.defense.gov.jpeg

WOW!  I was looking in Stacey’s book too!  I must have been in the wrong section. Thanks!

Salvage Sailor

My father was an USN ET1, trained at Treasure Island and rated in 1947.

Electronics Training Program 

• In June 1946, ARM Navy Pier was also transferred to Great Lakes, and ARM Bellevue followed at the end of the year. These were combined and eventually evolved into an Electronics Technician "A" School. ARM Treasure Island, fed by students from Great Lakes and, for a while, from Del Monte, continued as a secondary school; this later evolved into an Advanced Electronics "C" School. In mid-1946, NAATC Ward Island added its own primary school; then in October 1947, all of the activities were transferred to NATTC Memphis (actually at Millington, Tennessee) and Ward Island was decommissioned.

16 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

WOW!  I was looking in Stacey’s book too!  I must have been in the wrong section. Thanks!

Yeah, it took me a while to find it.  It is under Information Systems Technician.  Weird way to organize it. doesn't even have a separate section for Radioman.