Study: USN WWII Gray Uniforms 1943-1949

Ricardo

21 minutes ago, David Minton said:

My understanding is gray was to replace khaki, which King felt more appropriate for land forces. Tough to dispute his logic.

According to the biography by Tom Buell, King did push for a heaver wool version of the grays to replace blues for ordinary duty, leaving blues and whites as dress uniforms, but was told it was out of the question because of material supply.

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Faded Khakis, as they should be, from being haze grey and underway

This is the 1944 Sampson Naval Training Station team with Johnny "Double-No-Hit" Vander Meer in the second row, third from the left. The LTJG is wearing the grays.

1944 Sampson Naval Training Station team.jpg

Salvage Sailor

As I'm going through items that I've had stored for decades, I keep coming across more Grey boards, hats, rates, buttons, insignia, etc.

This is the box I rediscovered today

IMG_8540.JPG

David Minton

Not sure if I have shared these before, but some recent “harder to find” gray shoulder boards for US Navy, US Maritime Service, and US Public Health Service. I have not come across another USPHS Dental Officer board. The USMS boards too me years to find.

72dcbf6ab42563cb4d09bbf141500e9b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

RAdm Gerald Bogan and Commodore Arleigh Burke, Naval Air Station Norfolk, Virginia, United States, summer 1946

Navy Gray Uniform.1946.Bogan.Burke.jpg

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

"Here is 'Bilgewater,' the mascot of the Coast Guard Academy, circa 1944.  He's modeling the new wartime grey cadet uniform."

Note the black chinstrap & black buttons with a Midshipmans' anchor

USCG Academy Cat 001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Crew of USS Whale, SS-239, end of 8th war patrol, July 1944. Note officer center front, behind flag. Wearing grays. Also, CPO in the second row. 

D21171F4-FF2D-4CB8-A77E-3258C676A6D3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Justin B. said:

You know I had to include the rate!

I really like how casual they are. Chiefs cap is to the back of his head, belt tip not dressed with the buckle. I know active duty guys that would have a brain aneurysm looking at this !

Medal Of Honor recipient Vice Admiral Jonas H. Ingram, photographed at Recife, Brazil while serving as Commander Fourth Fleet and Commander South Atlantic Force, U.S. Atlantic, circa 1942-1944. He has two ribbons, one either a Navy Cross or DSM and the other with a rosette, above his Medal Of Honor ribbon.

Navy Gray Uniform.Ingram.Jonas.1.jpg

Mildred H. McAfee takes the oath of office to become a Lieutenant Commander in the Naval Reserve and Director of the Navy's Women's Reserve, at the Navy Department, 3 August 1942. Administering the oath is Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox. Looking on are Admiral Ernest J. King, USN, Chief of Naval Operations and Commander in Chief U.S. Fleet (left), and Rear Admiral Randall Jacobs, Chief of Naval Personnel (right).

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/us-people/m/mcafee-mildred-h-horton-informal-views/nh-95017.html

Navy Gray Uniform.Ernest J. King.8-3-1942.jpg

Photo caption reads: "On the morning of March 27, 1945 during Okinawa preparations four suicide planes attacked the light cruiser USS Biloxi. Three were shot down in flames but the fourth broke through the umbrella of ack-ack to smash itself against the cruiser's side. Later investigation revealed a 500-kilogram bomb which failed to explode. Rendered harmless, the bomb became the prized possession of the quarterdeck where it is shown being examined by Major Anthony V. Ragusin (right) of Biloxi, Miss., and Ensign Jack Fisher, USNR, of Natchitoches, La., both of whom are attached to the staff of the Commander in Chief Pacific Ocean Areas. (Quoted from the original caption released with this photograph on 7 September 1945.)"

Navy Gray Uniform.Jack Fisher.Bomb.jpeg

Gray uniform worn aboard the U.S.S. Spokane in 1948. 

Description: (CL-120) Crewmen attach a plaque commemorating Spokane's receipt of the 1947-1948 Battle Efficiency Pennant for ships of her type. Taken during ceremonies at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, N.Y., on 2 September 1948. The officer at left is Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Joseph D. Sandling, USN. The ship's historical data plaque is also mounted on this bulkhead.

Navy Gray Uniform.Spokane.1948.jpeg

Commissioning of LST-767. Ship's commissioning crew, photographed circa September-October 1944. She had a U.S. Coast Guard crew. Her Commanding Officer, Lieutenant R.B. Seidman, USCGR, is seated in the front row, center.

Officers are wearing a combination of gray and khaki uniforms.

Navy Gray Uniform.LST 767.jpeg

On 9/15/2021 at 5:29 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Is Admiral Nimitz wearing a gray uniform and khaki cap in this picture?

I'd say almost certainly not.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Looking on are Admiral Ernest J. King, USN, Chief of Naval Operations and Commander in Chief U.S. Fleet (left), and Rear Admiral Randall Jacobs, Chief of Naval Personnel (right).

That is King's green HBT uniform in his experimental phase.

29 minutes ago, patches said:

Is this Chief wearing a Grey one??? If he is he seems to be wearing a Red Rate and a Red Hashmark.

Those are greens, note the shoulder loops.

17 hours ago, Justin B. said:

I'd say almost certainly not.

That is King's green HBT uniform in his experimental phase.

Those are greens, note the shoulder loops.

Then the Red insinia was the right type to wear then, thought it was Black.

26 minutes ago, patches said:

Then the Red insinia was the right type to wear then, thought it was Black.

The dark blue stripes were official, but the early regulations were a little vague and red and gold stripes were definitely worn, especially earlier in the war.

• 2 weeks later...

James V. Forrestal takes oath of office as 40th Secretary of the Navy. Rear Admiral Thomas L. Gatch, Judge Advocate of the Navy, administers the oath, while Admiral Ernest J. King, Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet looks on. Photograph released May 19, 1944.

Navy Gray Uniform.King.Forrestal.1.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.King.Forrestal.2.jpg

Lieutenant Harold R. Fleck, USNR, poses against a photograph of his ship USS LST 386, as he recalls how the giant landing craft underweight the experiments which made it the first “junior aircraft carrier.” The event took place in North Africa. A light flight runway had been installed aboard the LST, “the plane took off like a bird leaving a tree,” Lieutenant Fleck says. He described the first combat use of the LST as a “carrier” during the Sicilian landings at Licata as a “matter of routine.” Released September 19, 1944.

NavyGray Uniform.LST.Officer.jpg

Cairo, Egypt, Conference, November 22-26, 1943. Admiral Ernest J. King, USN, pauses on the steps of Mena House.

Navy Gray Uniform.King.Cairo Conference.1943.1.jpg

Adm. Ernest J. KIng in his HBT uniform. "White House, July 29, 1942. From left to right: Admiral Ernest J. King, Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet and Chief of Naval Operations; Admiral William D. Leahy, Chief of Staff to the Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy; and General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, U.S. Army."

Navy Gray Uniform.King.HBT.1942.1.jpg

Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King. 1945

Navy Gray Uniform.King.Jet Propulsion Laboratory.1945.jpg

L to R, Lt. George Elsey, Captain James Vardaman, and ship's clerk Edwin L. Hoying stand on the deck of the U. S. S. Augusta. July 1945.

Navy Gray Uniform.USS Augusta.1945.1.jpg

President Harry S Truman inspecting the U. S. S. Augusta. On the way to the Postsdam Conference. July 1945.

Navy Gray Uniform.USS Augusta.1945.3.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.USS Augusta.1945.4.jpg

Navy Gray Uniform.USS Augusta.1945.5.jpg

Assemblage of officers and civilians, including President Harry S Truman, on the deck of the U.S.S. Augusta as it steams into Chesapeake Bay upon returning from the Postsdam Conference. July 1945.

Navy Gray Uniform.USS Augusta.1945.6.jpg

Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy and Lieutenant Eddlestein. Photograph released: August 1945.

Navy Gray Uniform.Leahy.William.1945.jpg