Study: USN WWII Gray Uniforms 1943-1949

Ricardo

Those Airship Rigger rates are great.  Would love to find one.   I live 5 miles from Lakehurst-  maybe I’ll find one at a yard sale one day! 

20 hours ago, busternfo said:

This was posted a few years ago in the Rare Rating Badges thread, but it fits here too I hope. 

Airship Rigger CPO on gray Liona auto correct edit 2-13-21.jpg

Airship Rigger CPO on gray Liona back auto correct edit 2-13-21.jpg

I love this rate. I have never actually seen a non-bullion AR rate, just photos/scans of a couple. At least we know that the non-bullion ones existed. Thank for posting this gray one.

busternfo

Going back a ways to Steve's post #42 regarding bronze cap devices; Were these also worn with the aviation greens or did I just make that up?  

Cap badge bronze - rose gold 4 edit.jpg

Justin B.
4 hours ago, busternfo said:

Going back a ways to Steve's post #42 regarding bronze cap devices; Were these also worn with the aviation greens or did I just make that up?  

Cap badge bronze - rose gold 4 edit.jpg

They were never authorized for greens or grays. The regulation  cap device for USN uniforms has always been silver and gold. Bronze and later black miniature-size devices were authorized for officers wearing USMC uniforms until the 1980s.

busternfo

Thanks Justin for the clarification.  But, the bronze really looks good with the aviation green!

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Nice Slate Gray Warrant Officers jacket that recently sold on ebay. What is the ribbon next to the Navy Commendation ribbon on the on of his rack? The description says, Navy Unit Citation. If so, what for?  

image.png.1d5b45e60c31ea04f37014f36a196888.png

sigsaye
3 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Nice Slate Gray Warrant Officers jacket that recently sold on ebay. What is the ribbon next to the Navy Commendation ribbon on the on of his rack? The description says, Navy Unit Citation. If so, what for?  

Very nice Bo’Sun’S jacket. As for the NUC, you’d need to know what unit he was with. 

easterneagle87
7 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Very nice Bo’Sun’S jacket. As for the NUC, you’d need to know what unit he was with. 

I just didn't recognize the ribbon. So it is for a NUC then? 

PatLaabs
4 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

I actually won this one. Unfortunately I can't show any photos right now though as I had it sent to my parents house on the other side of the country. The base housing folks didn't give me an extra room for all my rates and uniforms so I had to leave 90% of my collection back home lol.

sigsaye
4 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

I just didn't recognize the ribbon. So it is for a NUC then? 

It looks like one to me. 

PatLaabs
10 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

It looks like one to me. 

Had my brother take a close-up photo

received_788678723159127.jpeg

sigsaye
1 hour ago, PatLaabs said:

Just a bit faded. But, yeah, NUC

easterneagle87
On 3/23/2024 at 11:26 AM, sigsaye said:

Just a bit faded. But, yeah, NUC

AAAHHHH... I see it now. Yep, faded but there. Nice!

On 3/23/2024 at 12:46 PM, PatLaabs said:

Looks like there is an Invasion Arrowhead on the ETO ribbon.  Supposed to be an Army-only thing, but I believe I have seen USN guys wearing it too.

PatLaabs
19 hours ago, KurtA said:

Looks like there is an Invasion Arrowhead on the ETO ribbon.  Supposed to be an Army-only thing, but I believe I have seen USN guys wearing it too.

That's a good point (get it? Lol). I don't think I noticed that when I bought it. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it in person until November so I don't know if it's named or not. Would have to ask my brother. Wonder where he got the arrowhead device.

easterneagle87

Just saw this pair of gray rates in a lot up on ebay now. 

List:  VINTAGE WW II USN RATE RANK SHOULDER PATCHES 20 LOT ORIGINALS

BY: M&M Collectibles USA

Gray CPO rates.jpg