Study: USN WWII Gray Uniforms 1943-1949

Ricardo

Salvage Sailor

This is an unnamed United States Coast Guard Lieutenant Junior Grade uniform, also a winter weight.

E_USCG_LTJG_01.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_02.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_03.jpg

It has USCG LT(JG) boards and two pinback ribbons

E_USCG_LTJG_05.jpg

I got this uniform from a costume trunk in a playhouse that was closing.

E_USCG_LTJG_06.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_07.jpg

He must have been an Atlantic guardsman, as the uniform is made by Shulman & Co., Norfolk, VA. He also has no overseas ribbons, nor an American Campaign.

E_USCG_LTJG_09.jpg

It has the older removable ring buttons. I've not come across these on grey USN uniforms, just this USCG uniform.

E_USCG_LTJG_10.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_11.jpg

Overall, a very nicely tailored uniform.

E_USCG_LTJG_12.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_13.jpg

Nice interior lining on this winter weight uniform with snaps on the pocket flaps.

E_USCG_LTJG_14.jpg

E_USCG_LTJG_15.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This Naval warriors name has eluded me thus far.

F_LT_01.jpg

F_LT_05.jpg

The uniform is tagged, but the Lieutenants name is very difficult to discern. He clearly had some lengthy sea service in the Pacific theater.

F_LT_02.jpg

F_LT_03.jpg

F_LT_04.jpg

Also a tailored Winter Weight uniform, manufactured by the Halle Bros. Co., size short 37. The interior tag says Colthcraft clothes - the Joseph & Feiss Co. It also has a laundry tag. Sooner or later I'll figure out his correct name which is written on the interior pocket tag.

F_LT_06.jpg

F_LT_07.jpg

Rear & Interior

F_LT_08.jpg

F_LT_10.jpg

It also has a Naval Uniform Service cap with a nicely worn USN LT bars. You can see the older holes on the cap where the Ensign & LT(JG) bar was attached before his promotion to LT. Something unique on this tailored uniform, the upper pocket flaps have false buttons, they only use snaps.

Who said grey's weren't worn in the Pacific? Look at these campaign stars. I've shown several Pacific uniforms and here is another one.

F_LT_05.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This two-ocean war seadog is Lieutenant Commander Gilpatric.

G_LCDR_01.jpg

G_LCDR_02.jpg

G_LCDR_03.jpg

American Campaign w/star, European & Mediterranean Campaign w/star, Victory Medal, and a newer (cleaner) American Defense & Asia-Pacific Campaign w/Star - all 1/2 inch pinbacks. His uniform has a laundy stamp in it from the USS ZEILIN (APA-3) which may have been his last Pacific assignment.

G_LCDR_04.jpg

G_LCDR_05.jpg

This well worn Summer Weight uniform is from the same manufacturer as MoMMC Stephenson's (see preceding post) - Made by Haspel, New Orleans.

G_LCDR_06.jpg

G_LCDR_08.jpg

G_LCDR_10.jpg

Summer Weight interior, it gets hot in the tropics. His uniform also had his old LT boards in the pocket.

G_LCDR_12.jpg

G_LCDR_15.jpg

His faded hat has many, many nautical miles on it. Also a Naval Uniform Service hat, but not a L. Lewis & Son. This naval warrior wore the uniform proudly, but did not spend his seapay on custom tailoring.

G_LCDR_16.jpg

G_LCDR_17.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here is a selection of USN grey overseas caps from the uniforms I posted.

H_Covers_01.jpg

From bottom to top (or right to left if you prefer)

1. LCDR Gilpatric's faded Naval Uniform Service, 7 1/4 (turned down to show fading)

2. J. B. Boyce, III, tag worn off, also turned down to show extensive fading

3. ENS F. D. Randall's, Naval Uniform Service, 7 1/4, L. Lewis & Son, New York

4. No Name, also Naval Uniform Service, 7 1/4, L. Lewis & Son, New York

5. No Name, No Manufacturers tag, size 7 tag

6. Same as above with different size 7 tag

8. LT(JG) E. B. Sydnor's tailored cap, tag worn out (but a swell custom job to go with his threads!)

H_Covers_03.jpg

Salvage Sailor

A Study in Grey? When is Grey, Gray or Slate Gray.....

There is no standard, the shades are lighter, darker, more blue, more drab.

To Illustrate (left fo right) :

1. MMC Summer Weight, Portlite Uniform

2. MoMMC Summer Weight, Hastings/Haspel, New Orleans

3. ENS Winter Weight, Browning, Fifth Avenue, New York

4. LT(JG) Winter Weight, John Wanamaker

5. LT(JG) USCG Winter Weight, Shulman & Co., Norfolk, VA

6. LT Winter Weight, The Halle Bros. Co.

7. LCDR Summer Weight, Haspel, New Orleans

I_09.jpg

A closer color study

I_12.jpg

I_10.jpg

It's much easier to see the differences in shades of gray when looking at the reverse sides.

I_13.jpg

Also, in reverse order (from Bottom to Top)

I_14.jpg

Well, there ya go. The U. S. Navy's WWII experiment with Gray uniforms from 1943 to 1948. Tradition won out (thank goodness) and Khaki's, Blues & Whites (plus dungarees) ruled post-war the waves*

*Until the next crazy 1970's Vietnam era experiment with the ridiculous 'utility' & 'Ice Cream Vendor' (or doorman) uniforms took place. Another study in the making is called for, eh?

I_18.jpg

Salvage Sailor
Salvage Sailor said:
It also has a Naval Uniform Service cap with a nicely worn USN LT bars. You can see the older holes on the cap where the Ensign & LT(JG) bar was attached before his promotion to LT. Something unique on this tailored uniform, the upper pocket flaps have false buttons, they only use snaps.

A corrected photo for post No. 25 illustrating the False Pocket Flaps with snaps ( I posted the coasties uniform)

Here is the LT's false buttons on the upper pocket flaps

F_LT_11.jpg

Here are some interesting boards - Chaplain and WO Torpedoman.

Kurt

post-322-1231688951.jpg

Captain boards in original Vanguard box.

post-322-1231689044.jpg

Grey CPO jacket for an athletic instructor. This was given to me by the vet. He was in the Navy during WW2 and in less than 4 years made chief.

Kurt

post-322-1231690070.jpg

close-up of rate

post-322-1231690215.jpg

Grey captain's hat.

post-322-1231690298.jpg

Here are some interesting boards - Chaplain and WO Torpedoman.

Kurt

post-322-1231688951.jpg

Wow, very nice. thumbsup.gif I've never seen gray Warrant Officer's shoulder boards before.

Hi,

Please, my gray uniform was with wrong rank´s boards??

My best, Ricardo.

NO, many times, the correct gray boards were not available, so the boards from the khaki and white uniforms were worn. Same with the brass buttons, chin strap and cap badges. If the correct bronze ones were not available, the regular ones were used.

Steve Hesson

Here's that usms gray uniform which came today. I was a little disappointed when it came because it has the navy buttons instead of the usms buttons.

I knew when buying this it had the the black or blue shoulder boards, which kind of makes sence if they didn't have the gray usms uniform they probably wouldn't have the gray usms shoulder boards. The one shoulder board had the one button replace with a navy one. I know this is a usms uniform, because the guy I bought this off of has his blue uniform also, with his info on it. This one has his name which is bearly readable. I know these shoulder boards don't below to the other uniform, because the insignia and rank is on the sleeve or cuff.

Here's some pictures.

post-2501-1231960883.jpg post-2501-1231960942.jpg post-2501-1231960959.jpg

navyman said:
Here's that usms gray uniform which came today. I was a little disappointed when it came because it has the navy buttons instead of the usms buttons.

I knew when buying this it had the the black or blue shoulder boards, which kind of makes sence if they didn't have the gray usms uniform they probably wouldn't have the gray usms shoulder boards. The one shoulder board had the one button replace with a navy one. I know this is a usms uniform, because the guy I bought this off of has his blue uniform also, with his info on it. This one has his name which is bearly readable. I know these shoulder boards don't below to the other uniform, because the insignia and rank is on the sleeve or cuff.

Here's some pictures.

post-2501-1231960883.jpg post-2501-1231960942.jpg post-2501-1231960959.jpg

On the left is a picture of his name written in the gray jacket.( It's had to make out, and my picture isn't the best) and on the right is a picture of a tag in his blue uniform.

post-2501-1231961208.jpg post-2501-1231961227.jpg

Jason

• 1 year later...
Chariot Whiskey

My Father was direct commissioned as a LTJG in 1942. He served as an Armed Guard gunnery officer on merchant ships out of NY and Norfolk, the Third and Fifth Naval Districts, until 1944 when he was transfered to San Fran to be one of the Asst. Port Directors.

On the East coast he wore service dress grey with black buttons and grey shoulder boards but upon reporting in to the Twelfth Naval District he was told he was out of uniform and they would not sign him in until he got gold buttons and regular black/navy blue shoulder boards. I don't know what version of the combination cover he wore but I guess that it was acceptable on both coasts!

What intrigues me is the amount of leeway that the Naval Districts had in interpreting Uniform Regulations.

kyhistorian01

I have posted this uniform before on another post but I think its worth posting on this one as well. Its a nice Lt CDR US Public Health Service gray uniform.

Robert

post-6492-1266807402.jpg

post-6492-1266807411.jpg

Sweet CB jacket to bad he was just an SK (I know I will take a hit on that one) sorry. Could we see the the chin strap buttons on the Army Trans hat, I know they are a pain to photograph. I have small versions of the UPHS and USCG buttons and cannot get a decent shot to save my life.

John

I notice this cap has a bronze looking badge. was this finish used only by CB's ?

Although the grey uniform often had black buttons and rank/rates etc the visor caps and overseas caps seem to usually have sterling and gilt badges. I have a screw back sterling, bronze finished overseas cap insignia and had wonderd with which uniform this would be worn ?

Graham

I have posted this uniform before on another post but I think its worth posting on this one as well. Its a nice Lt CDR US Public Health Service gray uniform.

Robert

Robert-

Great uniform! Very scarce. Good thing it has all its buttons, as you'd never find any black USPHS buttons.

Kurt

I notice this cap has a bronze looking badge. was this finish used only by CB's ?

Although the grey uniform often had black buttons and rank/rates etc the visor caps and overseas caps seem to usually have sterling and gilt badges. I have a screw back sterling, bronze finished overseas cap insignia and had wonderd with which uniform this would be worn ?

Graham

No, the bronze stuff was intended for wear on the gray uniforms. It is just that quite often, it was not available, so the regular stuff was used. When the bronze items became available, it the regular style were already being used, not much reason to go out and buy it. And, some guys just prefered the regular style, or as has been related, in some Naval Districts, the regular stuff was made regulation by the Senior Officer Present. Most likely due to the bronze items not being redially available so to make every one uniform he just declared that the regular style insignis be used.

Steve Hesson

kyhistorian01

Here is one of my favorite Gray uniforms, besides the Public Heath Service uniform. It is my Gray Navy Chaplain uniform complete with original shirt and pants as well as a gray belt. I also have a Gray overseas hat, but it is not pictured.

post-6492-1266898534.jpg

post-6492-1266898553.jpg

No, the bronze stuff was intended for wear on the gray uniforms. It is just that quite often, it was not available, so the regular stuff was used. When the bronze items became available, it the regular style were already being used, not much reason to go out and buy it. And, some guys just prefered the regular style, or as has been related, in some Naval Districts, the regular stuff was made regulation by the Senior Officer Present. Most likely due to the bronze items not being redially available so to make every one uniform he just declared that the regular style insignis be used.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve, I take it the painted black officers visor cap insignia that come up on ebay described as " for the grey uniform" are bogus !

Graham.

Here's one that I used to own, formerly belonging to Captain Hartung. I had both his white and grey uniforms.

Dave

Hartung12.jpg

Here's a larger picture of Hartung's uniform...

HartungUniform.jpg

And a close up of his sewn on ribbons...

HartungRibbons.jpg

kyhistorian01

Here are pictures I saved for reference from an Ebay listing several years ago. It shows a very rare Gray enlisted jumper. I wish I would have had the money to buy it.

post-6492-1266980783.jpg

post-6492-1266980794.jpg

Here are pictures I saved for reference from an Ebay listing several years ago. It shows a very rare Gray enlisted jumper. I wish I would have had the money to buy it.

Here's my gray enlisted jumper with 3rd class S which is for shore patrol

post-2501-1267493376.jpgpost-2501-1267493386.jpg