Roy Barger - 508 PIR

kfields

I have a rather extensive photograph album that belonged to Roy Barger. During the war, he was a Warrant Officer in the rigger section of the 508th. He is listed as a POW on the NARA site. What I am curious is how long he was a POW (from date to date). Is there a way to find that out or is getting his personal records the only way to find out that information?

One reason I am asking is that the album contains many photos he had taken that were at training, overseas in England, France and Netherlands. No winter scenes. But then there are photos postwar of him in Germany with his unit. There are a few photos in the album of him in a wheel chair wearing a hospital robe. I'm wondering if maybe he was captured for a short period of time and then escaped? On the other hand, if he were captured and held to the end of the war, I suspect he would have been in really rough shape and not returned to his unit.

Folks in the rigger section did jump into combat in that era.

Thanks for your help!

Kim

post-60-0-52039400-1563285788.jpg

Kim,

I would love to see more photos! It appears that he was returned on 22 August 1945. Below is snippet, but you can see more information here:

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/print-record-detail.jsp?dt=466&mtch=11&cat=WR26&tf=F&q=barger&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=42283&rlst=42283,3649,125336,42280,42281,42282,125337,125338,42277,42278

Field Title Value Meaning SERIAL NUMBER W2116117 W2116117 NAME BARGER ROY E BARGER ROY E GRADE, ALPHA C WO Chief Warrant Officer GRADE CODE Y Chief Warrant Officer SERVICE CODE 1 ARMY ARM OR SERVICE MC Medical Corps ARM OR SERVICE CODE 71 MC: MEDICAL CORPS DATE REPORT: DAY (DD) 22 22 DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM) 08 08 DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y) 5 1945 RACIAL GROUP CODE 1 WHITE

Thanks for looking! I didn't realized the morning reports were on line. How does one go about finding Feb - March files?

Thanks for looking! I didn't realized the morning reports were on line. How does one go about finding Feb - March files?

They are on there, I was going up to the root directories and doing a Ctrl-F for "1945-02" or "1945-03" and found them. There are multiple folders on the sites covering that period but within one of them you should find the 508th. I was in a lot of teleconferencing yesterday and poked around quite a bit, noticed that I was not seeing entries for KIA or MIA, so it could be that those details just weren't recorded for the Service Company.