Commando/Fighting Knife? Has anyone seen a similar example

gauthieb3sxz

gauthieb3sxz

Hey Guys,

I picked this knife up today at a local junk store/antique store that usually puts aside military items for me when they get them. I picked this up today and have no idea what I'm looking at. It appears to be hand made and bears no obvious markings. Rust and pitting to the blade and some corrosion to parts of the leather washers. A head scratcher but it is the same size as a F/S commando dagger. Any ideas? The store also had a New Guinea souvenir knife that came from the same local house on a buying trip.

Thanks!

img_4418.jpg?w=370&h=

img_4415.jpg?w=370&h=

gauthieb3sxz-It looks like a well made, WW2 era shop made knife. That's about all I see. Any markings? SKIP

gauthieb3sxz

Hey Skip,

There are no markings but I agree that it is pretty well made. I tried to find a similar example online but I can't quite find another. Was hoping it was one of the better-known small makers.

Thanks

Brennan

Brennan- There are some other members who know more about shop knives than I do, plus there are some books out there. Someone will chime in and know more than I do. Where are you from in New England? I'm originally from MA. SKIP

f2493cd54c2b40d7fea42fed510bf528.jpg..

Just to add on, here's a recent Sansibar type bolo/sword from the Philippines showing a leather and aluminum disk handle.

I know nothing about it other than I like it. It's great to have people looking out for military items for you. I've have a couple shops that do that for me but they are small operations.. Sometimes I end up buying things I would not have ordinarily purchased just to keep the people looking. I had one busy and long established shop that was regularly coming up with neat items. I was mildly crushed when he said he was retiring.