USMC 1970's Field Gear Help

Nkomo

I need a little bit of help. This is one of my favorite uniforms in my collection and I'd like to be able to make a complete display of it including webgear. However, I am not 100% sure what exactly I'd need for the webgear portion. Since this uniform is modified with the pockets on the sleeve, I am assuming it would be either Recon or Force Recon used. That is the look I'm going for at least. The EGA and USMC are on the chest pocket and I've been told that would peg it for being 1973 and beyond. Basically, I am looking for the webgear that would have been used by the Recon/Force Recon guys in the 1970's time period. If anybody could give me a list of the components I need or direct me to a book, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Arch

123aaaaa.jpg

1234aaaaa.jpg

NKOMO,

My two cents....

You wouldn't necessarily need a modifed jacket, I would say having a brown dominant Erdl USMC

stenciled jacket would have been great.

Whether for recon or regular Marines.

Anyhow, when you say 1970's are you referring to the later part of Vietnam, if so....M1956 web gear

would do fine for this.

I would use shorty '56 mag pouches.....other than this, the usual set up.

Four of these and two canteen covers with canteens would look great.....having the canteen covers with canteens

in the back in replace of a fieldpack.

Hope this helps.

Duffy

Mix of M-1956 and early LC-1 (particularly ammo pouches) ... also the 'horse collar' flotation device (pics I've observed usually show the slightly longer PFD's, not the shorter ones as used by UDT / SEALs).

I agree with the members.You could do a mix of M56 and alice.Have a webb belt or nylon belt (davis or regular buckle) with nylon suspenders,nylon canteen covers ,nylon 30 round mag pouches etc.I would think any 1973-78 dated gear would be the norm may even use earlier stuff as one Recon guy I knew got his hands on the older canvas 56 gear as he liked it because it was quiter in the field.I may have some extra stuff but it isnt to hard to find.

RON

Now begins the search for very used M-56 and LC-1 gear. The uniform I posted is one of the saltiest pieces I have in my collection. Part of the bottom of the sleeves have been cut off and it has numerous rips and tears. The crotch of the pants is held together with duct tape (military kind of course)! :lol: It is named, but I doubt that I would ever be able to track down the guy who used it. Whatever the case, thanks for everyones help!!!!

Arch

1111aaaaa.jpg

I came across a few photos on the web, I thought I'd share them with you....as they

are of Marines in Vietnam.....recon to be exact.

Note....the unmodified Erdl Jungle Fatgues, and the gear....appears M1956.

Cheers,

Duffy

post-4647-1230659562.jpg

post-4647-1230659582.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

Question regarding the EGA placement on these. I understand majority of the EGA marked jackets are more than likely had the EGA applied after VN so not to get onto a debate about that for I'm happy with an unmarked for VN period but I have two slant pocket ERDL coats & two of the straight which of course are post. One of each style has an EGA on the flap, & the others have it on the pocket. Was there a directive changing the location of the application of the EGA at some point?

At that period, Marines used mixture of gear (Vietnam era equipment and ALICE equipment). In a book I used to own, I've seen photos of Marines in BDUs with EDRL M1 helmet covers, 3/4 collar flak vests, and ALICE equipment. They used mixture of equipments. They still use old equipment from vietnam war era which was in their inventory at same time, they were getting issued new ALICE stuff. I'm sure it was same for Recon Force. I am regretted that I gave it away. If I still have it, I would scan pictures for you.

Things haven't changed much with the Marines, the last time I was visiting my Brother at Camp Pendleton, I saw a column of Marines on their way to some field exercises in brand new interceptors with MOLLE gear, all of them where carrying a pair of ALICE canteen carriers from ALICE to MOLLE adapters. Among them I saw three M-1967 canteen carriers with plastic snaps.

It was kinda cool to see ;)