WW2 aircraft urine tubes

P-59A

As far as I know these were standard on trainers, fighters, transports, and bombers, every thing that had wings had one or more of these in all branch's of service. The one without the drain line came with the T-6 rear seat I have. It was mounted under the seat at the front. These were made by two different company's as indicated by the small variation in manufacture, but they have no marks or numbers stamped on the metal. Both funnels are bakelite and embossed 42 A 6504.

post-169522-0-81630100-1563160254_thumb.jpg

Just think, Grandfather or Grandmother talking to grandkids in the 60’s....Granddad, Grandmaw, what did your factory make in WWII?......

Source: Military.com

"Urinary [relief] devices are the number one priority that female aircrews have when it comes to mission equipment."

phantomfixer

There was at least one thread on the relief tubes...pretty much the same type :rolleyes: of comments...go figure...

we had em on the F4E...cant recall them being used much or at least admitting to being used...

wonder if they had a Lady J adapter back then...for the ladies

and P59

I would mount one of them on a wall in the garage..just to see how many fall for the gosport design

phantomfixer

I have read....

sitting in fighter cockpit...sitting mind you..one pair of drawers, long johns, uniform pants, flight suit, and possibly shearling trousers, parachute leg straps, lap belt..almost impossible thing to use...several books have mentioned wearing a condom...others just let go

One article mentioned the tube froze up in use in flight...and never used again..

Cargo and bombers read that they just whizzed out a window or in a helmet, let it freeze then dump it

all good stories

On WW2 bomber flight gear starting with the use of the F-3 heated system you had zippered ability to get to were you needed to get to. I think you actually had to guide the funnel in.

On WW2 bomber flight gear starting with the use of the F-3 heated system you had zippered ability to get to were you needed to get to. I think you actually had to guide the funnel in.

Ok class todays lesson is..... proper funnel alignment and evacuation methods at high altitude.

Ok class todays lesson is..... proper funnel alignment and evacuation methods at high altitude.

Who's got the tech manual?

Who's got the tech manual?

Highly classified sir. It's only on a need need to know basis. Word of mouth, nothing in writing. : P

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2019 at 8:04 AM, phantomfixer said:

There was at least one thread on the relief tubes...pretty much the same type :rolleyes: of comments...go figure...

we had em on the F4E...cant recall them being used much or at least admitting to being used...

wonder if they had a Lady J adapter back then...for the ladies

and P59

I would mount one of them on a wall in the garage..just to see how many fall for the gosport design

Ummm thats why they make depends adult diapers. 😁

• 8 months later...

I have friends who keep and have used "buddy bottles" or whatever they call them for civi use today. Once you reach your 50s, two hour flights are about the max! I just plan for two hour or so stops just in case. The chance of a mishap in flight and how to carry it into an FBO to empty and/or clean it isn't worth it IMO. I've dumped thousands or bedside urinals as an RN but don't really care to use one!

Are there many photos of these mounted in WWII aircraft?

Dave