Uniform 823rd Tank Destroyer Bn 30th Infantry Division

Bob Hudson

My usual Saturday morning search for garage sales ended quickly when I pulled up to a house not far from mine: shining brightly on their hanging clothes rack were three WWII Army uniform items - a big old heavy Army wool overcoat, an early war enlisted 4-pocket service coat and a small 36R Ike (also a few overseas caps and ribbons)

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

Joe must have known collectors: he wrote his name and numbers in everything.

Besides moth holes, the stitches on left waist adjusting tab came loose.

holes.jpg

tabs.jpg

Another article about him:

rocks.jpg

Joseph Henry Spallino Jr. was his full name: his only child died in infancy in 1948. Joe died in 1991 - as did his wife - and his things were found abandoned in a house being sold and i was told today their next stop was the thrift store or costume store. So glad these few artifacts remain as a legacy of his service:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

The tan hats look like TD colors the green one is AAF. Nice red boarder 30th Div variation

It appears he did wear the AAF cap when he was with the TD unit - at least he wrote the unit name inside the AAF cap (the tan caps are also named)

aaf.jpg

outstanding...........it's good you didn't decide to sleep in

I did start earlier than I normally and ran into a community garage sale a mile or so from home. 99.9% of garage sale goers would have no idea why someone would buy old moth-eaten stuff. The lady selling it was happy when I told her it doesn't have to go to the rag mill now and will find a home with a collector.

Bob, there are a couple hundred General Orders posted on one of the 30th Division websites. I had some time yesterday and went through them looking for his Bronze Star citation but couldn't find it. There are some gaps/missing GOs so it's possible it was awarded on one of those, or that it was awarded while assigned to a different unit. From what I was was seeing of 823rd guys the citations were mostly "for action between [ ] date and [ ] date", rather generic.

Great uniform!

Bob, there are a couple hundred General Orders posted on one of the 30th Division websites. I had some time yesterday and went through them looking for his Bronze Star citation but couldn't find it. There are some gaps/missing GOs so it's possible it was awarded on one of those, or that it was awarded while assigned to a different unit. From what I was was seeing of 823rd guys the citations were mostly "for action between [ ] date and [ ] date", rather generic.

Great uniform!

His little grouping had a few loose ribbons, nothing that was not standard issue for his unit, and the BS ribbon was in with that.