Renault FT

Joe55

Greetings everyone,

I've not posted here for some time now and its not for the lack of modeling, just a lack of modeling appropriate to this site. I've done a Roman Centurion, Crusader Knight, a Pzkpfw II with 3 man crew,....you get the idea.

Anyway, this is a 1/16th scale Renault FT by Tacom. Its painted up to represent a tank of the 327th Tank Bn., 1st Tank Bde., St. Mihile, Sept. 1918. Hope you like it.

Joe

post-120035-0-56026800-1562988068_thumb.jpg

Very nice. For your non-US models, please consider signing onto our sister forum, the worldmilitariaforum.com.

Proud Kraut

Joe, this tank looks terrific! I would love to see some more pictures of it, including one of the interior. AWESOME!

Manu-Military

Extremely well done mate!

Good job on a too seldom seen subject : French FT under US colors in WWI.

It's also very nice to see somebody modeling a tank not as a wreck into operational use.

And thanks a lot for using the appropriate name of the Renault tank.

Hey Joe, great looking Renault. I like the camo and the weathering. If you have some more pics we'd all definitely appreciate them.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Very nice. For your non-US models, please consider signing onto our sister forum, the worldmilitariaforum.com.

Hey, nice to know that there was a sister forum. I have some stuff you might like that I built. I will definitely check it out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thank you Sir! I was not even aware of a sister site, I'll check it out.

Joe

Joe, this tank looks terrific! I would love to see some more pictures of it, including one of the interior. AWESOME!

Thanks Lars, I just suck at taking and posting pics for some reason. I tried posting another shot but got that red window saying that my pic was too big, and that was after I resized it! :blink: Anyway, I'll try. Thanks again for your comment.

Joe

post-120035-0-51268600-1563052637_thumb.jpg

Well what do you know! B) Still don't know why its so huge.

Extremely well done mate!

Good job on a too seldom seen subject : French FT under US colors in WWI.

It's also very nice to see somebody modeling a tank not as a wreck into operational use.

And thanks a lot for using the appropriate name of the Renault tank.

Thank you for your comments Sir! It was during my research that I learned the correct name.

Thanks again,

Joe

Hey Joe, great looking Renault. I like the camo and the weathering. If you have some more pics we'd all definitely appreciate them.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Howdy Manny,

Glad you like the way it turned out. I'll try and put in some more pics. Might have to do them one at a time!

Joe

post-120035-0-79957500-1563055272_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Yours looks great. I noticed that you added spark plug wires and the copper tube through which they passed. If any, what other details did you add?

I'm currently wrapping up the interior and engine compartment on the one that I'm building.

Where did you get, or who makes the spare fuel barrel stowed on the back? That's an after market part I've been looking for without success.

Yours looks great. I noticed that you added spark plug wires and the copper tube through which they passed. If any, what other details did you add?

I'm currently wrapping up the interior and engine compartment on the one that I'm building.

Where did you get, or who makes the spare fuel barrel stowed on the back? That's an after market part I've been looking for without success.

First of all thanks your comment!

I compiled almost two pages of notes covering the enhancements/additions to this model. Note that I did not scale things out so features are imprecise. In other words I winged it, but the effect is there. I found in my research many variations among vehicles, so I had to decide what was most probable for the tank I was building. For example the tube that the plug wires go through can be seen in different styles. One of them I found was longer, and curved downward with a flair. The one I opted for was simpler and easier.

The spare fuel barrel was difficult because I could not find any good photos of one. At best they are blurry and reveal almost no detail or markings. I even googled French fuel containers/barrels of the period and I found everything but what I was looking for. Anyway, the drum was made from a piece of PVC pipe used for landscape irrigation, some sheet styrene, lead, brass wire, and a couple of bits from the spares boxes. Once again I approximated the size based on those poor photos I found. The small vent cap was a photo etch piece from the spares and the fill cap was made from 1/35 German tank driving light cap. All I did was fill the slit and filed down the outer circumference into a hex shape.

Hope this helps, and if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Joe

world war I nerd

Joe, your description of how you made the French fuel drum is much appreciated ... even though I'm disappointing that there's not a ready made example to purchase! By the way, you did a great job on yours.

I was contemplating fabrication one by wrapping sheet copper around a piece of PVC pipe or wood dowel of an appropriate diameter.so that it could be realistically dented up a bit.

Here's a decent shot of an AEF Renault 17 with a pair of fuel drums - presumably showing both the top and bottom of a French drum.

post-5143-0-02692400-1563065627_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Like you, I too have amassed dozens of photos, period and otherwise, of the tank ... many of which contradict each other. This is the only WW I dated photo of an FT engine that showed the copper tube through which all the plug wires passed. this image was taken, probably in 1918, at the facility at which all of the AEF's light tanks were repaired and overhauled. You'll probably notice that the configuration of the tube on this engine is dramatically different from most of the other examples that you've likely seen.

post-5143-0-94716300-1563065936_thumb.jpg

Hey, nice to know that there was a sister forum. I have some stuff you might like that I built. I will definitely check it out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I love looking at your work. I'll look forward to seeing some of your non-US stuff over there.

Mikie

Greetings everyone,

I've not posted here for some time now and its not for the lack of modeling, just a lack of modeling appropriate to this site. I've done a Roman Centurion, Crusader Knight, a Pzkpfw II with 3 man crew,....you get the idea.

Anyway, this is a 1/16th scale Renault FT by Tacom. Its painted up to represent a tank of the 327th Tank Bn., 1st Tank Bde., St. Mihile, Sept. 1918. Hope you like it.

Joe

attachicon.gif 20190702_160256_Film4_resized.jpg

Sent

Wow! That is amazing. As said, please go over to the World site and post some more there. If love to see them.

Mikie

Like you, I too have amassed dozens of photos, period and otherwise, of the tank ... many of which contradict each other. This is the only WW I dated photo of an FT engine that showed the copper tube through which all the plug wires passed. this image was taken, probably in 1918, at the facility at which all of the AEF's light tanks were repaired and overhauled. You'll probably notice that the configuration of the tube on this engine is dramatically different from most of the other examples that you've likely seen.

Wow you're right, that's a very different plug wire tube. Thanks for posting the pics, could of used the one on the drums for sure!

Going to try and post a few in progress pics at a time.

Joepost-120035-0-10590100-1563121592.jpg

Sent

Wow! That is amazing. As said, please go over to the World site and post some more there. If love to see them.

Mikie

Thanks Mikie, might just do that!

Joe

Incredible work. Your attention to detail is outstanding. I really like the rounds rack and your weathering technique on the floor.

Semper Fi.

Manny