Bayonet Johnson 1941

Windraider

Everything about your Johnson bayonet looks good. One thing I look for are the very light wear marks where it has been mounted on the rifle. You wont find that on a reproduction. The scabbard looks legit also. Congratulations!

• 1 year later...

There are no iron clad guarantees about the Marine Johnson bayonet.   However, what we do know, is that the "Marine used" Johnson bayonets were unmarked.  They came from the factory unmarked.  The only marked ones we know of, were the ones that made it to the Dutch.  Just keep in mind that the reproductions are also unmarked.

Marv

6 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

There are no iron clad guarantees about the Marine Johnson bayonet.   However, what we do know, is that the "Marine used" Johnson bayonets were unmarked.  They came from the factory unmarked.  The only marked ones we know of, were the ones that made it to the Dutch.  Just keep in mind that the reproductions are also unmarked.

Marv

Thanks Marv. So all marked ones were Dutch. If I understood correctly from what I have read, a lot of the Dutch contract bayonets never shipped due to hostilities - so were these Dutch marked bayonets then used by the Marines?

The Johnson bayonets used by the Marines were unmarked.  Many Johnson bayonets you find today were marked post WWII, mostly by the Dutch, but maybe by other countries as well...not many though.  Johnson bayonets were also used by Cuban troops, pre- Castro. Don't know if they were marked or not.

The truth is that there is little documentation about this little bayonet.

Marv

1563621..... that's an amazing collection of Johnson bayonets.  Thanks for showing us.