Army Officer Collar insignia...WW2?

P-59A

These were a flea market find. The lack of a makers mark and the type pin attachments make me think WW2 era. Is this correct?

post-169522-0-84592100-1562812826_thumb.jpg

Yeah they're WWII era. You see a lot of loose, barely-used Cavalry branch insignia, especially in WWII Armor groups. The Armored Force (the Mark V WWI tank insignia) was not a branch you could commission into - you had to be commissioned in usually Cavalry or Infantry then detailed to the Armored Force (where you wore the tanks on the collar). In the old correspondence from Tank units during the war the officers are still using "Captain, INF" or CAV in their signature blocks. A little confusing. Mechanized Cavalry recon unit officers still wore these as well as the few horse cavalry units that remained stateside. After the war when they adopted the crossed rifles with the M26 Tank, Armor finally became a branch you could commission into.

Infantry officers assigned to the Cavalry units of the 1st Cavalry Division wore Cavalry collar brass also. They retailed their infantry branch, but for "historical continuity," cavalry brass was worn by officers and enlisted alike.

Allan

This is one of my favorite uniforms. it is named and dated 1929. The collar brass is not maker marked. With his war service I picture an old horse soldier. watching the times change. The Sam Brown belt has a sword hanger. It is possible he served with buffalo soldiers during the cuban occupation.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks. From what I can remember reading the expert sword was only for cavelry officers and only until about 1930. They were not sold after 1935. There is also a expert pistol mounted and dismounted.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah they're WWII era. You see a lot of loose, barely-used Cavalry branch insignia, especially in WWII Armor groups. The Armored Force (the Mark V WWI tank insignia) was not a branch you could commission into - you had to be commissioned in usually Cavalry or Infantry then detailed to the Armored Force (where you wore the tanks on the collar). In the old correspondence from Tank units during the war the officers are still using "Captain, INF" or CAV in their signature blocks. A little confusing.  Mechanized Cavalry recon unit officers still wore these as well as the few horse cavalry units that remained stateside. After the war when they adopted the crossed rifles with the M26 Tank, Armor finally became a branch you could commission into. 

...crossed ‘sabers’ with the m26 tank.