Interesting CWU-27P flight suit....

Geo3310

Hope everybody is having a great day....I just picked this up at a base thrift store. Looks like a current style flight suit, but the fabric looks significantly different. I tried to research the contract number and couldn't find any info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post-163143-0-06443300-1562728538_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

off the cuff I would say this is not an issue item, no NSN, contract number is wrong, tag is wrong for an issue CWU-27/P.....having said that....

the 5% Kevlar is is kinda cool...maybe an example of a experimental suit ...

I believe it may be experimental also....Just too close to the current style. I'll try to get better pictures for comparison. Thanks and have a great weekend.

That contract number is actually a legit type of contract number, often used for special types of government contracts.

Wouldnt write this one off as private purchase so fast. It could very well have been from a small contract of flight suits used for testing/trials.

Just for some additional info, here is another recent production service garment with a similar contract number, this time used on a set of Test Item Crye combat pants from 2009. This was a very small contract for about 3,000 sets of pants, which were tested to see how theyd work in the field.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/253215-experimental-test-acu-crye-precision-combat-pants/

phantomfixer

I just saw that you purchased this from the BASE thrift store...I shoulda read the OP closer...you might have an experimental suit/ test suit...

I have been to several base thrift shops...they generally have a good selection of flight jackets and suits

I agree...I love the Base Thrift store. I also picked up a pair of Vietnam Bivouac Booties made by Converse the other day. I would say that's a good week...

It is, indeed an experimental suit. The USAF and USN has had an ongoing project to identify new materials for use on flight suits. Several manufacturers submitted samples. Small quantities of each sample were produced and distributed to various squadrons for evaluation. The suit you have was well liked by the wearers. The only issue with it was the appearance.

• 3 months later...

Every recent flight suit I have seen has that new nomex/Kevlar mix, I think to reduce static. I have one with this new fabric. The old 100% nomex stuff was staticy as hell, and probably sparked more than one fire.