And now something different....patriotic Lima Beans

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

Here's an unusual item that I picked up at an antique mall in (of all places) Canada. I knew that victory in WW2 was in practically all aspects of everyday life for Americans, but I didn't know it got down lima bean can labels.

post-286-0-34929400-1562708946_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

Really a nice find. There are actually people that collect labels like that, believe it or not! I would guess that a lot of companies made sure to advertise their patriotism to potential customers, to show that they were doing their part in the war effort even if they weren't making tanks or planes. You have to wonder how many wartime labels survived I see 1920s and 1930s labels frequently enough, but with the wartime reclamation and salvage drives going on for both paper and tin surely a lot avoided the dump only to be recycled.

The insignia on the label is a Disney design.

Makes me think this might have been a design offered to packing houses when wartime practices made typical color labels a luxury. The Disney design stands out even in black and white, offsetiing the loss of color. And the design makes it easy to swap out different packing houses on the labels.

Amazing how well it has held up. Some employee probably grabbed that when they shut down the Victory label production line at the end of the war.

Capt.Confederacy

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's an unusual Homefront item, to be sure.

(If I ever get around to digging through one of my storage bins, I'll have to post a picture of my 1944-dated US Quartermaster Corps flour bag. That piece used to hold the title of 'Oddest item in my Collection'. :) ).