Has anyone seen this WW1 Aviation Related badge before.

Bill Scott

Bill Scott

Marked Whitehead and Hoag Milwaukee Wisconsin two inches long one and a half high just a neat looking badge.On the prop blades Signal Corps.Thanks Scotty

2019_07_08_192738.jpg

With the torch in the top center I would agree. Has to be for an instructor or air school. Definitely 20s period

rustywings

Interesting looking piece Bill! Any additional clues on reverse besides the hallmark? Pin-back? Screw-back?

It has a nice heavy drop in catch assembly and pin very high quality and the Logo.Scotty

John have you seen one before or is that what you think.Best Bill

I have seen similar badges and pins. During and after WWI, there were a number of schools and facilities that were involved in training mechanics how to work with airplanes and engines. Periodically, I will see similar badges that are also numbered. The types vary from school or institute--this is an image I borrowed from Flying Tigers Antiques. It is a bit different from the other one, but I think they were probably used in similar way as an ID badge.

post-1519-0-40371700-1562806745.jpg

firefighter

The torch could just be part of the Signal Corps insignia. I’m thinking this is a WW1 era pin since the Air Corps was under the Signal Corps.