Unknown "Navy" emblem, anyone know which one it is ?

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

Here's one I was asked about via Facebook, I don't have an "ID" anyone ehere recognise it ??????

TBM/TBF, PV-1,2 Ventura/Harpoon , ????????

post-2068-0-59488000-1562612743.jpg

This one is in my unknown pile, Johnny. I always thought it might be a PBY unit due to the bomb and black cat, but the torpedo throws a kink in that theory. Hope someone here recognizes it. Does the person asking own this patch? Can we see a photo of the back and edge of the patch? The one I own is made of unusually thick leather and has illegible writing in pencil on the back. Jeffro

Thanks Bearmon but not there :)

I was suggesting it might be a Black Cat type patch, not that it was shown on the page to which I posted the link.

pararaftanr2

This one is in my unknown pile, Johnny. I always thought it might be a PBY unit due to the bomb and black cat, but the torpedo throws a kink in that theory. Hope someone here recognizes it. Does the person asking own this patch? Can we see a photo of the back and edge of the patch? The one I own is made of unusually thick leather and has illegible writing in pencil on the back. Jeffro

No "kinks" in your theory Jeffro. PBYs could carry torpedoes.

post-9787-0-48360200-1562702573.jpg

Nice, pararaftanr2! I did'nt know that. I think that narrows it down to a black cat unit in my opinion. I hope we can figure this one out. Jeffro

Well, we may be closer to solving this one than I thought. It's sad when you can't recall the details of your collection, but I dug through my unknowns and located my sample of the patch today. As luck would have it, it is way more legible than I originally believed. Seems my example belonged (or was obtained by) a "Tech Sgt Mays" "Diving ?". Perhaps one of our resident records researchers can pick up the ball and get us to the goal line.

post-2489-0-15159700-1562942103_thumb.jpeg

Seems my example belonged (or was obtained by) a "Tech Sgt Mays" "Diving ?"

The last word after Diving is Unit.

Thanks Aznation! I can see that now that I've got your extra set of eyes. Sounds like maybe the writing was done by the person that obtained the info from the original owner. It may have come from hearing "dive bomber" which may or may not be a PBY unit. The mystery continues...