Fairchild and Curtiss Wright patches

Siamundo

I recently picked up these Fairchild Aircraft patches, and had a question. One of them is sewn to a larger Curtiss Wright patch. Admittedly, I am not intimate with the histories of either company but after looking on line for a while I could not find any reference to the two companies ever being connected in any way. Does any one know of a legitimate reason why these might have been sewn together? The Curtiss Wright patch looks like it is a guard patch as the word GUARD is hidden under the Fairchild patch

post-2744-0-78079200-1562552032_thumb.jpg

ocsfollowme

No legitimate reason. The Curtiss Wright Guard is always a greenback like yours. Worth $85-165 with about 5-6 sold in the past five years on eBay.

Cool, thank you sir. I had debated about whether to cut them part or just leave them as is for the 'unusualness' of it.

wildcat123

Id look into Fairchilds production of SB2C Helldiver in their Canadian plant for Curtiss-Wright. Seems there might be a link there.

Thank you for the tip wildcat123. You may have hit the nail on the head. Coincidentally enough, these patches came from a seller in Canada (although all the patches included were US). It does like like Fairchild built 300 Helldivers for Curtiss in Canada during WW II. Below are some stats from the uswarplanes.net site. Maybe this double patch was legitimately worn (at least in Canada)??

Foreign built - Canada:
SBF-1
Fairchild-Canada version of the SB2C-1.
Produced

Fairchild Aircraft Ltd., Longueuil, P.Q.,
Quebec, Canada (F)

BuNo.31636 / 31685 ?

Total: 0050

SBF-2 - Not used.

SBF-3
Fairchild-Canada version of the SB2C-3.
Produced

Quebec, Canada (F)

BuNo.31686 / 31835 ?

Total: 0150

SBF-4 - Not used.

SBF-4E
Fairchild-Canada version of the SB2C-4E.
Produced

Quebec, Canada (F)

BuNo.31836 / 31935 ?

Total: 0100

SBW-1

ocsfollowme

I have almost 30 different curtiss patches in my collection with two from their Canadian division that I have not posted on my home front thread. I will look to see if Fairchild is on those.

The way I read it, Fairchild was manufacturing for Curtis (like Ford for Consolidated). So there would be Curtis folks at the Fairchild plant and vice versus.