14 Photographic Portraits Of Revolutionary War Soldiers from the 1840s-50s

patches

This was just shared to my FB page by one of my old friends, a site that shows 14 known revolutionary war veterans photographed starting in the 1840s with their BIOs, fascinating stuff.

Here's one of them, click on link to see the rest of them.

Rev+War+Vets+-+Rev.+Daniel+Waldo.jpg

https://passionforthepast.blogspot.com/2013/07/faces-of-history-original-photographs.html?fbclid=IwAR0gABMaUz6TXswDDuMm8XBY1yz7JGevmtcrrJV8RFXGrfLhWUdZ3zxZAvE

There is a historical marker not far from where I live in western NY stating that it was the site of the home of Alexander Milliner. It mentions that he was Washington's drummer boy and later a soldier. It's in a hamlet called Adams Basin along the Erie Canal about 15 miles west of Rochester. I don't know when during his life he lived there. The canal was not even there until 1825ish. What surprises me is that Adams Basin is rural now so I can't imaging what it may have like when Milliner lived there. I believe the "basin" part of Adams Basin is a canal reference so it probably wasn't called that when Milliner lived there. To me it just brings the Revolution a bit closer to home. I notice his name is spelled Millener in the picture rather than Milliner. I believe you can find more information about Milliner on the web.

normaninvasion

Thanks for that post. Love info like that. Always amazed that people lived so long in those days, goes against what everyone says about life expectancy's.

Thanks for that post. Love info like that. Always amazed that people lived so long in those days, goes against what everyone says about life expectancy's.

You know what amazes me a lot is the way so many soldiers died in wars back then by just being sightly wounded,getting sightly injured in accidents etc getting diseases etc, and then you have examples of soldiers being critically wounded and living, like the examples of horrific wounds suffered by Garnet Wolseley. He was hit in the thigh in Burma by a Gingal ball, a ball fired by this Wall Gun like weapon is the size of a small lemon, cause a deep furrowed wound taking away muscle tissue, massive bleeding and all that, yet he not only lived but recovered, later in the Crimea as an acting engineer he was horribly wounded in multiple places, with it's intended bleeding and shock, when a Russian artillery shell hit a large sack or wicker basket or something that held small stones being used as ramparts, stones lets say that resemble those little stones seen on rail road tracks, half his face was blown off, here he was lucky as it were, here his flesh was just hanging down, and was able to be flapped up and sewn back, both his eyeballs were bulged out of their sockets, he had one of those small sharp rocks blown into his open mouth, lodged in his palette, numerous sharp stones lodged all over his body, and yet he lived and recovered, though he did lose one of his eyes :o