Y For Religion, Need Help 1952 Tags.

otter42

Was just given these Korean era tags. They belonged to a local man, haven't found if he is still alive. He is/was an artist. What has me stumped is the "Y" in the religion section. Thanks for the help, Ken

post-4732-0-85992500-1562425301_thumb.jpg

Although you will normally find a Jewish soldier's tag marked with an "H" for "Hebrew" or a "J" for "Jewish," you will occasionally find them marked "Y" for "Yiddish." Obviously, Yiddish, is a language rather than a religion, but it is often equated with "Jewish German" and most likely the reason that trooper "Gelder" was identified as such.

Allan

dan_the_hun84

Although you will normally find a Jewish soldier's tag marked with an "H" for "Hebrew" or a "J" for "Jewish," you will occasionally find them marked "Y" for "Yiddish." Obviously, Yiddish, is a language rather than a religion, but it is often equated with "Jewish German" and most likely the reason that trooper "Gelder" was identified as such.

Allan

Damn interesting fact Allan- I have seen it once before myself on a WW2 tag

I was going to say "Y" was for "Yankee" :)

I spent some time on a kibbutz in Israel, and the lady that ran our store would speak in Yiddish. Thanks Allen!

Ken

Ok, next we will be singing the Mickey mouse theme song! "Y, because we like you!"... good one Brig.

zzyzzogeton

The blood type is just an "A". Would this have been assumed to be "A-Pos" or did someone make a mistake and leave out the POS or NEG indicator?

RememberThe5thESB

The blood type is just an "A".  Would this have been assumed to be "A-Pos"  or did someone make a mistake and leave out the POS or NEG indicator?

KW dog togs dont have the positive or negative indicators, to my knowledge anyway. Weird isnt it?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk