Occupied Japan License Plate

otter42

Here's a neat one I had never seen before. I also picked up a 1958 Germany Occupation plate with this one. I have never seen a Japanese Occupation plate before. I looked on the net and found they were only used for a few short years.

post-4732-1230507108.jpg

• 11 years later...

Time to revisit this one after 12 years or so: this pair of Occupied Japan license plates has details written on the back and it says this style was issued in 1948 and 1949.

This set was used on a 1933 Packard V-12 Model 1006 Limousine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The back of the occupation plates say this series was issued in 1948 and used into 1949. A new dated series was issued in 1949 - found this example online:

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 4.31.28 PM.png

It appears that in 1949 8th Army announced that vehicles with these 1946-48 JAPOC plates could re-register them in 1949 and that a new style of plate was also being issued for vehicles not previously registered.

Pacific Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 31, 1949

YOKOHAMA, March 31—Plans to re-register automobiles of persons authorized to use JAPOC license plates, and to issue new license plates and Quartermaster gasoline station permits during April are being completed, Headquarters Eighth Army lias announced.

These plates were issued by the Provost Marshal Office for privately-owned vehicles.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.17.36 AM.png

Thats very interesting, ive had a few occupation of germany plates over the years but never seen an occupation of japan plate👍🏻....mike

I read somewhere  (actually at http://koreanwarcollectibles.net/1950-us-forces-in-occupied-japan-license-plate-korean-war-era-rare-all-original.html ) that these early occupation plates were sponge-painted as were most Japanese plates of that era and the paint has not held up well over the decades. This set is better than most because it's been carefully stored away by its original owners.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother was in the  occupation of japan 1946 to 47,  He was in yokohama with the army.  He had a picture of an army jeep that was painted black with ford car bumpers and other civilian parts on it.      I was in Korea 4 times with the army flying all over south korea.  gahm-sah  hahm-nee-dah  Thank you

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 7:06 AM, Backtheattack said:

Great, would be glad to own the car and the plate.

I talked to the widow and she loved that car: imagine being a Sergeant and running around occupied Japan in those wheels? 

If a sergeant got to drive that, imagine what his superiors drove! 

Dad had his points at the end of the war. They guys heading home were asked to volunteer for occupation duty, but Dad wanted to get as far away from anything Japanese as he could get. One of his best buddies decided to go and used to tell us stories about how good he had things over there.  Wish I could remember some of his stories but that was close to 40 years ago.