Collection Progress

Nickman983

Nickman983

I finally had some time recently to sit down and properly catalog and display my entire helmet collection. It's been just under 2 years since I started collecting and so I figured that now would be a good time to post the entire group. I think at this point I've got a decent representation of helmets from WWI through the Vietnam war. Overall I'm happy with how the collection is displayed, though I will likely move things around a bit whenever I get the next helmet. Let me know if anyone wants to see any helmet in particular or wants to know about one of the helmets!

post-169952-0-14354800-1562350430_thumb.jpg

Nickman983

Awesome collection. A little bit of everything.

Jacob

Thank you! My goal was to have a good representation of the history of the US steel helmet. Now that I've accomplished that I'll probably shift my focus more towards WWII items in particular

Nice and salty collection!

Any special IDd helmets?

Thanks! I've got one with a very probable ID, one with a possible ID, and a few others that have names/initials but no ID.

The medic helmet has the name C. Nurenberger written inside but I haven't found anything yet. The 3rd from the left on the top row has the name "Smith, C.A" stamped on both the shell itself but also on the liner sweatband. The left most helmet on the 2nd row from the top has a laundry number in it and the 7th ID M1917 has the initials MBB painted inside.

The III Corps M1917 I have probably identified to a Carroll Clifford Stander, who served as a Wagoner in the Medical Department, 339th Ambulance Co., 310th Sanitary Train, 85th Division. I was able to find his records for him sailing over to France in 1918 and returning in 1919 and I was also able to find a picture of him in his WWI uniform standing next to his son in his WWII naval uniform.

post-169952-0-89350800-1562355020.jpg

The M1917A1 with the red Captain (or navy Lieutenant) bars I have possibly ID'd to a Robert Hoyt Price who eventually was a Lieutenant Commander in the navy. Based on the style of the ranking marking I believe that the helmet would have belonged to someone in the Navy or USMC, and I was only able to find 3 or 4 officers in the navy and marine corps with the name Robert Price, and Robert H. Price was the only one to obtain the rank of Lieutenant early enough to have possibly had a M1917A1 at that rank. I believe he was an ensign in '39 and a Lt. by '42. The rest of the Robert Prices I could find didn't make Lt. Until around '44 or so. From what I can find, Robert H. Price was unfortunately lost at sea and officially declared deceased on December 18th 1944. I believe he was posthumously awarded at least the Navy and Marine Corps Medal as well as the Distinguished Flying Cross.

post-169952-0-30576100-1539010457_thumb.jpg

Nickman983

Looking good. Any particular WW2 areas you want to head into?

Thank you! I don't have any particular area I want to focus on at the moment, though I will probably tend towards marked helmets. I'd also like to add at least a Hood Rubber and St. Clair liner to have at least one example of each liner variation.