WW2 USAAF Theater-made Aircrew Wings?

pfrost

Picked these up this morning. An interesting pair of cast USAAF aircrew wings. I usually stay away from any cast wings, period. However, in a few cases, I may consider a cast wing, such as stuff that compares favorably to some of the known or documented POW wings from the original owners.

For me, this is an interesting wing. Most cast wings that are fakes, tend to be of some identifiable pattern (ie a Luxenberg). Most have been made to try to fool you into thinking it is a vintage die struck wing. On the other hand, some cast wings are made extra cheap and crude, in order to try to fool you into thinking that they are POW made.

This wing may have used a typical aircrew wing as a rough model, but it isnt a cast copy of an aircrew wing, but rather an individually generated pattern. Nor is it especially crude or cheaply made.

I already have an opinion of what it is, but figure it may be interesting to discuss.

Some points that the pictures don't show that well. First, it does have some honest wear on the high points (such on the US Seal) where it has been worn down a bit. It is marked STERLING, but I don't know if I believe it all that much. In some of the recesses you can still see some old silver polish residue.

Patrick

post-1519-1230505642.jpg