Helmet from a Marine Silver Star Awardee

thorin6

Sometimes things work out differently than you think. I bought a small helmet collection from the estate of a friend and college roommate’s father. It consisted of 4 WW1 helmets (French, US, German) and one WW2 helmet (Japanese). While I was after the two US helmets and the German camouflage helmet, the Japanese helmet was a nice plus. After they had arrived, my friend Gary talked about where his father had gotten the helmets. He didn’t have much to add about the WW1 helmets, but the WW2 Japanese helmet had come from his father’s friend, a Marine in WW2. His name was Joe Thurow, and apparently he had earned a Silver Star. Beyond that, all Gary knew was that Joe did not talk to the kids, but they respected him. Using the methods outlined in the forum, I was able to find the grave that gave me the basic information about Joe being born in 1925 and passing away in 1996. He’s buried with his wife, who passed away in 2012. I then went to the registry for awards for the Silver Star and above, and extracted the following citation:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Private First Class Joseph M. Thurow, Jr. (MCSN: 540215), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while serving as a Radio Operator in Headquarters Company, First Battalion, First Marines, FIRST Marine Division in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands on 14 May 1945. Accompanying his Company Commander on a reconnaissance of front line positions when the enemy attempted a large scale infiltration at dusk and the Company Commander was seriously wounded, Private First Class Thurow accurately reported the tactical situation by radio despite heavy enemy fire falling in the vicinity and after completing the report and aiding in removing the Company Commander to a covered position, continued to transmit valuable information concerning the attack until a shell fragment struck his radio and rendered it inoperative. His outstanding courage and devotion to duty under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

I don’t know any more about Joe Thurow, when he entered service and what other battles he was in, but on this Independence Day, it’s good to remember those who fought for our freedoms and understand the sacrifices they made.

post-11546-0-29019000-1562284473.jpg

post-11546-0-55065400-1562284488.jpg

And a surprise, inside the helmet in one of the pad pouches was a 10 yen note. I haven't researched it, but it appears to be from Emperor Hirohito's regime.

post-11546-0-96586100-1562284755_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

That is wonderful that you were able to learn more about your marine that brought this home!

Paul