What to look for in a 48 star flag

ehines42

I wish to purchase a genuine 48star flag what do I look for? I would like a flag from wwwii how can I locate one?

I would recommend attending an estate sale of a WW2 veteran.....Only problem is, if it's a burial flag, it may wind up being a 50 star flag instead....

You might also want to look for one that has a quartermaster stamp on it and the lead eyelets....These were flown on ships....

Otherwise the military style with the sewn on stars and stripes can be found....Once you know what to look for....The type I listed above can be found on eBay....Just be careful not to overpay....Bodes

Blacksmith

Antique stores, flea markets, heck, maybe even post in the wanted section here on USMF.

I usually see printed 3’ x 5’ examples for $15 to $25; multi-piece flags (sewn on stars, individual stripes) are a little more.

There are tons of these things out there, so no need to over-pay.

Good luck.

Capt.Confederacy

If you only want a genuine 48 star flag, those are fairly easy to come by since they were in use from about 1912 to 1959. Schools, government buildings, private homes of patriotic Americans, etc had them, and many are still around. (Be careful of any flag that has a uniform dull yellow or dull red tint to it. Some home decor place a few years ago sold a bunch of newly-made 48 star, 13 star, 50 star flags that were artificially-aged for mere home decoration. I have seen these pop up in antique malls and ebay as period flags for a gigantic price.) Proving that a flag was from the WW2 period is a bit dicey since to my knowledge, no civilian-used flag had dates stamped on them. You might be able to go by the manufacturer, but that is not a sure thing. On military-used flags you might find a date on them, but military flags are rarer.

To harken back to what has already been said, be careful not to overpay. Antique malls and ebay are pretty infamous for having overpriced flags.

Yes eBay has plenty to choose from but finding the correct one is difficult. Thanks for all the good info?

Around a 5"x9" 48 star older than 1945 I know they come in varying quality such as linen, wool etc. Some are printed some a re very good quality and thick I opt for the later

Quality But not necessarily used in war.