China Burma India Theater Earliest Theater Made Wings

mtnman

Here is my example of the rare Karachi made wing. It is missing the fastenings but I'm just thankful to have one at all they're quit difficult to find.

post-25673-0-96134800-1562778876_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75617100-1562778885.jpg

Outstanding 3 inch BEAUTY Mike!!! Well Done as Always! I had no idea that anyone out there at a set of these wings and I was hoping desperately that they could be shown together as a set along with the info of origin provided and so I thank you so much Mike for putting these on.The first I ever encountered these wings comes as no surprise to anyone as they were the 3 inch version hunted down by Cliff Presley and showcased on Bob's site, take a look at these beauties when you get a chance, the full package! They are under World War II wings – pilot

• 1 year later...

I've been lucky enough to acquire these two wings and after consulting with Mel, I can add this Aircrew and Service Pilot wing to examples made by J. Manikrai & Sons in Karachi.  Manikrai was a talented silversmith who moved to Karachi in 1899 after a drought and famine that decimated his home region near Kutch, India.  Operations in Karachi expanded greatly with the American presence in early 1942 with the buildup of the harbor and the expansion of the airfield and Karachi was an important part of "The Hump".  There are examples of Manikrai's work online and his company was responsible for many impressive works of art.  Thanks to Russ and Mel for your assistance and sharing your knowledge.

20200816_175331_copy_1224x787.jpg

20200816_175537_copy_1224x762.jpg

20200816_175250.jpg

Here is a photo of J. Manikrai & Sons storefront in Karachi.  J. Manikrai died in 1919 and the business was continued by three of his sons who employed approximately 35 people.

20200817_115256.jpg

On 7/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, mtnman said:

I forgot to mention, if anybody else has earlier CBI wings of theater make, please feel free to add to this thread so that we can give as much information in the form of knowledge and wisdom, to wing collectors out there working hard to preserve our history as good stewards over these tiny monuments to the men who were blessed to forge that history in our military.

There was a long history between China and the US regards to aviation.  CNAC (Chinese National Aviation Corporation) was formed in 1929 and eventually evolved into a partnership between the Government of China and Pan American World Airways from the United States.  There were also probably a fair number of early advisors from the USAAC (such as Claire Chennault) and various aircraft manufacturing companies that were involved in the development of China's air forces during this time.  Of course, prior to the US entering WWII, the AVG of the Flying Tigers fame were also in China.

India and Burma fell under the British sphere of influence, so I can't argue that prior to WWII and the US taking a more important role in flying in India and Burma to counter the Japanese, that many American pilots were in that area.

I suspect that there were opportunities for sundry American pilots to purchase Chinese made wings prior to the entry of the US to WWII.  I can't say I have every seen any of these (other than perhaps a CNAC wing or two), but one could postulate that there exists early "CBI"-made wings from the late 20's and early 30's

josesharontraders

What wonderful detailed history. Even the conclusions by chronology to artefacts of USAAC made in-theatre pre-WW2 makes sense. Thanks for sharing, all.

• 1 year later...

Attached are a couple of images of the earlier gilt, and later silver CBI-made USAAF Flight Surgeon examples in both coat and shirt sizes. (It took roughly thirty years to finally locate all four variations.) 

CBI Flight Surgeon 2.jpg

CBI Flight Surgeon  4.jpg

All I can say is Congratulations ... But after a search as protracted as this, the words fall short. Just know that I am touched with joy to know that it is you who put this 4 piece ensemble of such poignant historical significance, beyond words, together.  Because I know what it took to find it. Well Done My Friend, Very Well Done.....

Tesla and MtnMan, thank you for your previously shared images, research and generous responses with this developing and insightful CBI thread!

Patrick, that freshly posted gold shirt-size Flight Surgeon badge is indeed a terrific example of custom-made CBI aviation history and beauty!  As WarGuy so eloquently stated, "Wow, that is a gorgeous example!" (Times two!)

• 1 year later...

Now I need a set of these early CBI Flight Surgeon Wings posted by mtnman THANKS

But in the meantime I figured I would show some CBI made wings in my collection

Tested at 14K 11.4g

cbi_wings7.jpg.20f23aa6ab480371d8bc6740896fc764.jpgcbi_wings8.jpg.1bf401fe6a7cafb1ab55d461b056444d.jpgcbi_wings6.jpg.0d7e9810f8e9efa8cc21d46a647dd6f7.jpgcbi_wings4.jpg.fb0828c5ef0d9f3ace47e1fafd7bb2ee.jpgcbi_wings5.jpg.a5c3fffaadbf573612b2081d0f130ad9.jpg