• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WWII 2nd Ranger M1 Helmet

Rear- seam is the big give away. Also the diamond style looks like easy green (cant remeber sellers name exactly) , who is/was a common seller of repro painted pots on ebay.

RLTW!-Ross Daly

donation2014.gif

Brand new leather chinstrap, rear seam, swivel bales, unpainted liner with scratches from an enlisted hat disk or DUI. Repro/fake all the way.

That said, for $127.00 it’s not a terrible deal, but for Captain Millers real helmet, or any other real Ranger helmet you’d need to add another zero to the price. Maybe more.

Collecting 3rd Armored Division items of all kinds from all eras, specializing in the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment.

It's a Saving Private Ryan special in my opinion. Pretty much any 2nd/5th ranger battalion helmet you'll see for sale is fake. They are exceptionally rare. From my understanding most 2nd and 5th ranger battalion helmets were repainted OD shortly after the Normandy invasion.

Someone more knowledgeable on the history of the 2nd/5th ranger battalion markings may be able to confirm or correct this if what I say is not completely true.

In any case, I'd pass on this one unless you really wanted it just as a Saving Private Ryan display piece.

donation2020.gif

Here is a legit one

Lommel's helmet after his commission as 1st Lt.

Presented by himself to the former Grandcamp-Maisy Normandy museum

rc4nqw.jpg

WOODS NOW U.S MARINE CORPS ENTIRELY, our lines include now the entire Bois de Belleau. Signed, Major Shearer "Skipper" 5Th Marines, 3rd Bat - June 25th 1918

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2020.gif

And another one from the 5th

Pic from "Facebook" Ranger's temporary exhibition in Cricqueville en Bessin, last June

2mfj3oy.jpg

24nfp6b.jpg

WOODS NOW U.S MARINE CORPS ENTIRELY, our lines include now the entire Bois de Belleau. Signed, Major Shearer "Skipper" 5Th Marines, 3rd Bat - June 25th 1918

donation2020.gif

ANY rear seam, swivel bail helmet wasn't even produced until at least 5 months after Normandy. The rest of the details are irrelevant at that point.

I suspect this is another original WW2 steel pot ruined by an internet 'artist' after watching SPR.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Any helmet collector could see that it's a fake from ten feet away. I'm not either and that one picture told me fake. I think you probably have a better chance if getting struck with lighting before finding a original ranger helmet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I suspect this is another original WW2 steel pot ruined by an internet 'artist' after watching SPR.

Not necessary,

Many SPR movie props were sold by the production to the collector's or reenactors market after the conlusion of the movie.

i.a, assault jackets, rangers helmets, resin made garands & BAR, Assault gas mask etc...

donation2020.gif

That said, for $127.00 it’s not a terrible deal, but for Captain Millers real helmet, or any other real Ranger helmet you’d need to add another zero to the price. Maybe more.

Actually you'd need to add at least 2 more zeros plus if it was real.

ANY rear seam, swivel bail helmet wasn't even produced until at least 5 months after Normandy. The rest of the details are irrelevant at that point.

Weren't swivel bails in production starting in late '43 to early '44? That being said, I do not believe there is any solid evidence that they had made it to the troops in England prior to the Normandy invasion, so you are correct in that any swivel bail helmet that is claimed to be used on D-Day is almost certainly fake.

donation2020.gif

Not necessary,

Many SPR movie props were sold by the production to the collector's or reenactors market after the conlusion of the movie.

i.a, assault jackets, rangers helmets, resin made garands & BAR, Assault gas mask etc...

Yes, At The Front bought most of the original SPR props in the 90s and sold them online. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of CPT Miller helmets out there now.

In regards to the bales, that could be correct, but I am yet to see any evidence of the front-to-rear seam transition happening prior to late 1944. So bales aside, the rear seam is indicative enough. My post was, "ANY rear seam, swivel bail helmet wasn't even produced until at least 5 months after Normandy." Anyone with evidence to the contrary, please let me know.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

In regards to the bales, that could be correct, but I am yet to see any evidence of the front-to-rear seam transition happening prior to late 1944. So bales aside, the rear seam is indicative enough. My post was, "ANY rear seam, swivel bail helmet wasn't even produced until at least 5 months after Normandy." Anyone with evidence to the contrary, please let me know.

That sounds correct. I think the switch over to rear seam was some time around November '44. I missed the rear seam portion when I read your original post, my apologies.

donation2020.gif

Here is a badly crushed swivel bail M1 steel pot found by a friend in the Bastogne area, years ago.

According to the book " Le casque M1" written in french by Regis Giard & Fred. Blais ( ISBN 9 78232 3006 12) , a swivel bail helmet has been unhearted in the Saint Germain sur Sèvres ( Manche/ Normandy) where the 90th Infantry division faced the 2nd Pz SS Reg 2 on July 22-23 1944.

It is also precised that this helmet might came from a replacement that arrived straight from Infantry Replacement training center in the US.

2yxgol0.jpg

donation2020.gif

Here is a badly crushed swivel bail M1 steel pot found by a friend in the Bastogne area, years ago.

According to the book " Le casque M1" written in french by Regis Giard & Fred. Blais ( ISBN 9 78232 3006 12) , a swivel bail helmet has been unhearted in the Saint Germain sur Sèvres ( Manche/ Normandy) where the 90th Infantry division faced the 2nd Pz SS Reg 2 on July 22-23 1944.

It is also precised that this helmet might came from a replacement that arrived straight from Infantry Replacement training center in the US.

2yxgol0.jpg

Front seam or rear seam? For a front seam, late July 1944 is a reasonable time to see them in Europe.

Cannot tell....but likely a front seam.

I had no opportunity to verify, sorry

donation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

A point of interest. Can we please stop repeating that the "Len Lomell helmet is original" D-day issue - when it is not.

I have met Len Lomell and I personally know Jean-Marc Lafranc (ex Grandcamp Mayor) to whom he gave the helmet... and I can assure you that this was a long after the war gift to the museum - at a time when anything was accepted as being original and was not questioned.

This is a post war painted helmet and it is NOT his wartime one. When and by whom it was painted - who knows, but it is NOT and will never ben an original D-day issue. Please do not let young collectors think that because it is so badly painted. Every young collector will be buying them off Ebay and convincing themselves they have a real one because it looks similar ...

There was also a post war BAR on display - again attributed as being there on D-day... but it has a manufacturing date which is post war.

There are things that well meaning people gave or donated at a time when the Rangers were not being represented in the area, and it is great that people were doing something to preserve their memory. But lets not make sweeping assumptions that something is real simply because it appeared in a museum in the 1990's.

There are also the grappnel's which were being made and aged in the sea by a local guy with a shop next to Grandcamp harbour for years and years. Tourists buy stories... so lets not perpetuate this one.

There are also the grappnel's which were being made and aged in the sea by a local guy with a shop next to Grandcamp harbour for years and years. Tourists buy stories... so lets not perpetuate this one.

The only original grapnel,to my knowledge, was owned by Mr BECK who was the owner on the big country house on the road to Grandcamp, next to the restaurant.

BTW Mrs Beck was elected "Miss France" in the 60s

I have been to the PDH for more than 45 years since now, while the parents of my then friend (Mr&Mrs Guelinel)owned a small shop (postcards, drinks and candies) next the the former car park, long before the land was passed to the US.

At dawn, when the tourists & visitors were gone,we enjoyed a SCR 625 mine detector and we unhearted some atifacts such as K gun drum mags, bullets etc.

Another friend found a complete 20mm AA gun bolt near the Rudder's PC.

Other time, older people.

donation2020.gif

I am sure some really nice stuff has been found there over the years. I bought a US bayonet from a local guy who found it at the edge of a field at PdH... it cost me next to nothing but the story is just a story without provenance. I know what he told me - but proving it is impossible, so I have a rusty bayonet in my collection.

A friend of mine who lives nearby to PdH went down along the beach and found the rubber from a gas mask and a few cartridges beneath the cliffs a few years ago... I have them now, but I guess most items like that have now long perished.

If only we knew then what we know now.

I like that 2nd Rangers helmet ....

Hi Dandoo,

I met you at Ciney Militaria during the last show and bought your 2 last books, I already acquired your first opus at the Maisy battery years ago.

I will come to say you hello next Octobre at Ciney :rolleyes:

I can't load some period pics as Tiynipic is no longer available

Cheers

F

donation2020.gif

Hi

Thanks for doing that... if you want to email me you can find my details on the website for the battery.

I was going to show a helmet on here but had a problem loading it. It is a shame this is not made easier for us all to use.

G