RS SB 1st Pattern Hawley Battle Damage?

CWG

On eBay right now there is a RS SB 1st pattern Hawley liner. The guy says it is battle damaged but how does this make sense? The helmet and liner when they got shot were definitely together but Im not sure if this is battle damage or just someone shot it on the range after the war. It's very very strange. Is it actually battle damaged? I know this will raise more attention on the helmet but its a buy now no auction so it doesnt really matter. Tell me what you think on this. Link- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323843981189

I'd definitely lean more towards it being shot for fun. With seemingly very little wear and no back-story behind it, I don't think it's feasible to claim it as a battle damaged piece

Note adding photos from the auction for prosperity

post-154926-0-67886900-1562021143_thumb.jpg

post-154926-0-34319400-1562021153_thumb.jpg

Personally, I think it was newly shot. No rust around the bullet hole. After saying that, I think it is still worth the money for a Hawley liner that is in decent condition with the lid.

Ken

Nickman983

As others have said, it was more than likely used for target practice by somebody rather than battle damaged. I'd say more often than not any time a seller claims a helmet was "battle damaged" it's just someone trying to upsell the helmet.

Unfortunate considering the liner seems to be in pretty good condition besides the shrapnel damage.

gravecreek

Doesn't the first pattern Hawley liner have rectangular washers ? If it's fake, too bad they screwed up that nice liner.

Doesn't the first pattern Hawley liner have rectangular washers ? If it's fake, too bad they screwed up that nice liner.

Unquestionably an original Hawley liner, and yes it's too bad....Both shell/liner being desirable and collectible....Bodes

Nickman983

That would be correct. First pattern would be rectangular washers and rayon webbing. This one would actually be a 2nd pattern Hawley. Still a damn shame assuming the damage isn't period

To me it looked like it had the original first pattern straps but thats just from my eyes.

That would be correct. First pattern would be rectangular washers and rayon webbing. This one would actually be a 2nd pattern Hawley. Still a damn shame assuming the damage isn't period

My bad all. It has been a long day for me. it is in-fact a second pattern with the circle washers. Still a shame like you said that someone shot it. I think what they were trying to do was add value maybe to the helmet by having it maybe be battle damaged but they messed up not knowing that the shell was a RS SB and not matching the liner time period at all ?

My bad all. It has been a long day for me. it is in-fact a second pattern with the circle washers. Still a shame like you said that someone shot it. I think what they were trying to do was add value maybe to the helmet by having it maybe be battle damaged but they messed up not knowing that the shell was a RS SB and not matching the liner time period at all ?

I don't think the seller themselves shot the helmet. Probably someone did it in the past.

And besides, there are good examples of WWII SB helmets being used alongside the older 1st/2nd Pattern Hawleys. I doubt most soldiers cared too much, just used them until they until they wore out and were rendered un-usable

Nickman983

I don't think the seller themselves shot the helmet. Probably someone did it in the past.

And besides, there are good examples of WWII SB helmets being used alongside the older 1st/2nd Pattern Hawleys. I doubt most soldiers cared too much, just used them until they until they wore out and were rendered un-usable

I'd agree with this on both counts. To the guys wearing these a liner was a liner and a helmet was a helmet. If a solider had a liner that he had already sized properly and was comfortable he would have likely used it until it was too worn out and could be replaced. Don't forget there were times during the war that helmets would be turned in to be repainted, I could easily see a scenario where a solider had a FB helmet, turned it in for repainting, and ended up with a SB helmet afterwards.

I would also give the seller the benefit of the doubt on this one. If I had to guess I think chances are that someone shot this in the past, then sold it an antique store/donated it to a thrift store and the current seller picked it up from there. That could also explain the price/description tag tied to the liner.