HELP NEEDED! Uncle in WW2 2nd Marine Division - History

wwnuttycollector

wwnuttycollector

Hello Everyone

I have been researching my 80 year old Dad's uncle, a SGT in the 2nd Marine Division in WW2

My uncle (great uncle) was in the Corp at the start of the war, and survived the war

Unfortunately, he never uttered a word to anyone in the family about his service after the war

He passed in 2001, and I have not been able to find anything on my own

As I said, my Dad is 80 years old - I would love to find out more about our uncle

PLEASE HELP! I have a photo of him in uniform after his discharge, along with his full name & hometown

PM if you can help me out

Thanks!

post-11367-0-69826000-1561906254.jpg

I mis-read your post the first time, and thought you were saying the WWII Marine was 80. That would have made him 5 or 6 when he was in the Pacific. I mean Marines are studs, but cmon. :)

So, based just on the pic, he has three campaign stars on his A-P ribbon, and one on the PUC - which means he participated in the action that earned the unit commendation.

If he was indeed early war, those campaigns could include Guadalcanal or Tarawa - if he didnt get to theater until later, it would be Saipan-Tinian and Okinawa.

Muster rolls would answer this.

Awesome pic - thank you.

Sorry, should add that he is wearing both an Honorable Discharge diamond and WWII Victory Medal, so this photo would have been taken after he separated - 1946 or later

wwnuttycollector

Thanks Blacksmith!

The photo shown was part of a family portrait taken in 1945 of my uncle (USMC, shown), another uncle (8th AAC Flying Fortress radio/gunner, shot down twice, POW 1943-45), an aunt (USA Nurse, Philippines), and an uncle who enlisted in 1945 @ age 17.

My great-grandmother went t mass every day through the end of the war - it worked! They all survived the war

Nice photo Enlisted 1-19-42 2nd military police company 2nd marine division overseas in time for Guadalcanal, Tarawa,Saipan and Tinian. At some point get his service records to confirm the three battle stars

wwnuttycollector

You are quite welcome Sir.

Are the other family members in uniform in the photo?

post-11367-0-06500500-1561911510.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
wwnuttycollector

Thanks for all the kind words! I had the great fortune of having a great-grandma that lived into her mid 90's , and my ENTIRE family - aunts, uncles, grandparents & my grand parents brothers, sisters & families gathered at my great-grandma's house every Christmas, Easter & Thanksgiving until her death.

I was truly fortunate to have such a large, close-nit family until well into my 20's

I miss them all (well, most of them) VERY much - the world is a much different without their daily influence!