National Ensign ("Flag") of USS New Orleans that flew during Pearl Harbor.

aerialbridge

The provenance is from the National Archives on permanent loan since 2014 to the NROTC Unit at Tulane Univ. in New Orleans, so for size reference this is the bona fide, historic flag that flew from the cruiser's flag staff on the morning of December 7, 1941 while the crew "praised the Lord and passed the ammunition." Based on the scale compared to the Louisiana D.A.R. ladies sewing the canvas backing on it, it appears to me to be a # 4 or 5. Hoist length is the dimension parallel to the flag staff. Fly length is the dimension more parallel to the deck. Click on center of photo montage to see all photos.

https://www.nola.com/military/2014/08/historic_uss_new_orleans_ca-32.html

post-18406-0-59979600-1561846391_thumb.jpg

post-18406-0-44124700-1561846410_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

I couldn't get the link to work but what a cool flag. I thought preservationists got away from sewing a canvas backing to a flag. This had been done to our original Stars and Stripes and later it had to be removed. The flag looks to be in pretty good condition so again why do this?

aerialbridge

That's perplexing that since I posted this the other day, they have killed the link. Before I posted (and after) I checked the link and it worked fine. Weird. Anyway, I googled and found this shot of the New Orleans Pearl Harbor flag where it can be seen today on the drill-deck of the NROTC building, which is an old, 1920's converted gym. Don't know why they sewed a backing on but it seems to be now framed and covered by some ripply clear film-- hopefully that clear film offers UV protection.

post-18406-0-48687100-1562035545_thumb.jpg

post-18406-0-08997800-1562035940.jpg

post-18406-0-36281800-1562036478.jpg

dhcoleterracina

It looks great displayed like that. I guess the size of the flag required that level of support since you really can't use a compression technique to frame it. It also looks like it might get direct sunlight. I would assume they used the highest grade plexi which I think is called museum grade for UV protection. Still, I'm sure they will be watching it closely for sun damage.

In the end I'm glad it is displayed for all to enjoy and be inspired. Clearly this one was valuable enough to pay the costs to do this, I can't even imagine the cost of the plexi alone to do this. Thanks for posting.