Type 99 w/ serialized capture papers

chils123

Picked this set up today and I'm very pleased. This was a lead from a gun show I set up at, and I was finally able to meet the seller and make a deal.

The rifle is nothing special. It's an early 20th series Kokura Type 99 Arisaka. The neat part is it came with papers form the Sailor who brought it home. He live about 2 hours away from me and unfortunately just passed away back in May at the age of 93. He served on the USS Yosemite, a Destroyer tender.

The set also came with a bayonet. There is no serial number and some interesting writing on the top of the handle in white paint.

Here is the gentleman's obituary:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pressconnects/obituary.aspx?n=chester-b-kolota&pid=192974236&fhid=7264

IMG-4703.jpg

IMG-4704.jpg

IMG-4706.jpg

IMG-4716.jpg

IMG-4717.jpg

IMG-4724.jpg

IMG-4726.jpg

USCapturephotos

Nice find. I have one that a sailor brought back too. Mine does not have the capture paper, but it does have a handmade and hand painted cover that the sailor made to house the rifle. I'm pretty sure the cover was a navy poncho of some sort.

Thanks for sharing yours!

Paul

WWIIBuff1945

Nice pick up Chils! Its great you now have a photo to go along with the grouping. Congrats on your latest addition!

M24 Chaffee

Very nice to add a great bringback with background like this to your collection!

Frank

Another beauty but no shipping crate. Capture papers make up for that though. Have you ever shot any of your Japanese rifles? I know the ammo is pricey and a bit hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I remember correctly painted symbols on the top of the bayonet grips indicates use by the Imperial Navy. Nice score!