USMC EGA's of Chinese origins... perhaps? maybe?

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

All, these birds came to me with recently acquired with a lot of emblems, insignia and accoutrement's to a Marine General who sereved in China in the 20's, the group is posted in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=32876&hl= Also there was a Chinese jewler made Captains bar in the group, shown in that thread as well.

These are very interesting….for sure! I have never seen any set EGA’s like these or resembles the character, the eagles are mounted on pegs. A matched set, no hallmark evident, extremely light, perhaps better said feather weight – a very course screw post and thin as well. Nut is frozen on one. “Brig” has examined these as well, in person. We both feel these are of “asian flair” – Chinese made?, any - all opinions are welcomed.

Semper Fi, Darrell

gen_hill_010.jpg

gen_hill_011.jpg

once again, beautiful emblems that just scream asiatic to me. I look forward to the replies these generate. Nice to see some really unique pieces brought to the table

jeremiahcable

Darrell, I am in agreement with you and Brig. They are crudely done yet beautiful in their own right. The coarse thread and general lack of alignment with the landmasses, anchors and eagles makes me think these were custom ordered and copied from a set of H&H first style pattern collar birds. The emblems also seem to have a high bronze/copper/brass content from the blue oxidization on them. Very unique pieces, and like Brig, I am looking forward to seeing what discussions are generated here.

teufelhunde.ret

Jeremiah - your likely very correct with the idea of these being someone's attempt of following those early patterns of the 20's... as so many showed the continents tilted one way - or the others, a seemingly endless variety or variation - again with the "feet off" character. Wanted to bring to your attention the rear of this Eagle. Upon my 3-4th viewing it noticed what appears to be something of an attempt for a hallmark, the outline of which can be seen in the picture... a square outline. The impression if you will can be seen with the naked eye along the top edge... the rest only appears with a loop and in the photo. I do not recall seeing anyones hallmark that resembles a box shape? s/f Darrell

gen_hill_EGA__s_009.jpg