Colt 1911 ?

FortJohn

I picked up a couple 1911's today and the Colt serial no. 232054 puts it as manufactured in 1918 and sent to the Navy. The slide is marked U.S. NAVY. But the slide has the colt at the rear of the slide in a circle. Is that correct for that gun. Someone removed all the finish and it looks like a nickle. Thanks Greg.

everforward

Not correct. The slide is much earlier than the frame, around four years or so. Is it all in good shape..?

everforward's answer is the conventional wisdom and I don't argue with it. However, I've been keeping data on M1911 and M1911A1 pistols for many years and I can tell you that I have documented 10 other pistols in that serial number range that have early Navy marked slides, most in the SN range of 230XXX to 233XXX.

Wrong grips , wrong barrel and it looks like somebody used steel wool on it. The other 1911 is a Springfield 1914 date. Got this one for what I figure was a good price.

post-154139-0-46438700-1561827419.jpg

everforward

everforward's answer is the conventional wisdom and I don't argue with it. However, I've been keeping data on M1911 and M1911A1 pistols for many years and I can tell you that I have documented 10 other pistols in that serial number range that have early Navy marked slides, most in the SN range of 230XXX to 233XXX.

Interesting. Indeed there may be something to it- I guess one way to find out would be to get a Colt letter on the numbered frame, perhaps there was a run of these as replacements..? Your mileage may vary. ;)

Charlie Flick

There is yet another example of a U.S. NAVY slide marked M1911 pistol with an anomalous serial number. It has serial 248043, which should be a 1918 date of production. That one is found in the collection of the Royal Armouries in the UK.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 months later...

Since M1911 slides have no serial numbers it is near impossible to verify that a U.S. Navy slide is correct with the receiver. The most likely way to have some certainty that a U.S. Navy slide is correct with the receiver is to match the recorded Colt serial numbers with the slide. Colt records are very specific as to the serial number ranges that they shipped to the U.S. Navy Yard in Brooklyn. All Model 1911's in Navy contracts through serial numbers 110,000 (1915) were marked "Model of 1911. U.S. Navy" on the right side of the slide. After 1915 and serial number 110,000 all 1911's sent to the Navy on contract were marked "Model of 1911. U.S. Army." So any slide that is marked U.S. Navy on a receiver with a serial number greater than 110,000 and manufactured after 1915 is not an original match. I have a U.S. Navy slide only in my small collection and if I will ever find a 1911 receiver that matches condition-wise I may match them up. But they will not be an original match.