Star Sportswear A-2 - found at the Goodwill outlet bins

centaurus3200

centaurus3200

Hi all

First post here.

Digging through the bins last week, I came upon this jacket. I know just enough to get me in trouble... I'm definitely no expert.

Word from the vintage leather jacket forum after a 7 page thread on the subject is that it's real.

Leather is a bit stiff. I've been told quite clearly to put absolutely nothing on it (I wanted to put a light coat of bickmore bick 4).

Right now, it's in a raw cotton garment bag under my bed. I would like to wear it a few times a year. Make it count... Like to the USS Hornet in Alameda.

I'll get the knits repaired first.

The general consensus is that the jacket should have no problem with light thoughtful usage. Just resist the urge to put any magic elixer on it.

It's a 42. I'm a 36 suit jacket. probably a 38 to 40 in an A2. It looks acceptable though.

Can I only upload one image at a time?

centaurus3200

thanks! yeah, the consensus from the vintage leather jacket forum was they'd show up at the door to kick my rear if i put a drop of anything on it. LOL!

they said they think it'll be find to wear a few times a year.

I wouldnt touch that jacket with anything. Leather looks great.

I wouldn't even replace the knits, just get the original waistband & cuffs repaired. That's an incredible Goodwill find!

phantomfixer

Digging through the bins??? and found a Star? the stars were aligned...very nice...keep her flat and cool..

I have a question; what is the big bugaboo about taking steps to preserve leather. The application of something like

saddle soap is hardly the equilalant to rebluing an antique firearm. It has never made sense to me that letting a vintage

leather item dryout, crack and eventually fall apart is preferable to a little TLC once and awhile.

Can anyone provide a logical explaniation for the 'hands-off' practice?

Thanks

centaurus3200

yeah, that's what i meant. have the original knits darned up.

I wouldn't even replace the knits, just get the original waistband & cuffs repaired. That's an incredible Goodwill find!

Watkins, Your assumption is that saddle soap or something else will prevent this jacket from becoming poorly cared for. As of now there is no need to do anything to it.

Dave