nicolas75

Pieces of ww2 parachutes ?

Hello to all

I have since more than a decade 2 pieces of chutes

Each one is said to be ww2 but all looks the same to untrained eyes like mine

Can you please let me know you opinions on it ?

Thanks for your help

- Lester H Scheaffer (Fleetwood - PA) - 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division - KIA September 12th 1944 attacking the Brest Naval range butt

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at St James cemetery. RIP

(My left avatar portrait)

- Jay E Hansford (Baxter Springs - KS ) - 146th Engineer Combat Battalion SETF - KIA June 6th 1944 landing on Dog White Omaha Beach

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at Colleville sur mer cemetery. RIP

(My right avatar portrait)

- See their story, and other ones here : http://mylifeinthewar.over-blog.com/

-- Interested in pictures (and others items) concerning the French Navy ships that went under repair in US Navy yards in 1943. In Boston (Le Terrible, le Fantasque, le Malin), in NYC (Richelieu) and in Philadelphia (Le Georges Leygues, Le Gloire, Le Montcalm)

First one : Said to be Normandy Jump

Looks like bright and a pretty exotic camo to me ?

This one is said to be found in Normandy

post-3574-0-02299100-1561655640_thumb.jpg

- Lester H Scheaffer (Fleetwood - PA) - 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division - KIA September 12th 1944 attacking the Brest Naval range butt

- Jay E Hansford (Baxter Springs - KS ) - 146th Engineer Combat Battalion SETF - KIA June 6th 1944 landing on Dog White Omaha Beach

-- Interested in pictures (and others items) concerning the French Navy ships that went under repair in US Navy yards in 1943. In Boston (Le Terrible, le Fantasque, le Malin), in NYC (Richelieu) and in Philadelphia (Le Georges Leygues, Le Gloire, Le Montcalm)

Second one : Said to be Market Garden one

Darker one compared to the previous one

post-3574-0-72827900-1561655774_thumb.jpg

The first picture is of a piece of the 1st pattern camouflage print, which was widely used from mid 1943 towards the end of 1944. It is definitely WWII production. From the coloring it almost looks like it has reacted with bleach. But, more likely the color shift is from being in the ground for decades. Of course, it is impossible to say whether it really came from Normandy, but it would fit the description.

The second piece is the classic 2nd pattern camouflage commonly found on late war production, but also continued in use in the 1950's. This piece strikes me as 1950's production, but it is hard to say for sure. Do you have a close up picture of the stitching?

For more detailed information, here is our link on the development of camouflage canopies:

www.theriggerdepot.com/camo-parachutes

www.theriggerdepot.com - Replica WWII Parachute Gear

Here are the stiching close ups

post-3574-0-42621300-1561663520_thumb.jpg

close up

post-3574-0-34781300-1561663595_thumb.jpg

Personally, my feeling is that this piece is a postwar parachute. Granted, it is extremely hard to tell from such a small section and it indeed could be from Market Garden. There is nothing wrong with the material, but the stitching details are very reminiscent of postwar production.

www.theriggerdepot.com - Replica WWII Parachute Gear

Thanks a lot

Hello,

Thanks for theses informations, i never see the first pattern in the french army surplus i've seen

Fab