Trailer for the new movie "Midway"

pararaftanr2

You mean the P-40 pilots who were so skilled they were recruited to fly B-25's off the deck of the USS Hornet for the Doolittle Raid?

Where, indeed, do we find such men?

……..and Spitfires in the Eagle Squadron.

Posted Image

Here for example is a genuine vegan leather flight jacket being worn by a live model at a fitting for Midway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, but the telescopic gun sights are what people are going to go the movie for anyway.

I know that is what I will be going for!

Keeping my fingers crossed. Last Spring, fabricated some telescopic sites and a few other things for their aircraft. From my perspective, it looked like they were trying to get most things right. I guess we'll find out in November! ;) Rob

These sites look nice. Which type of airplane were they used on in the movie?

It drives me crazy that they have the later model B-25 in the Doolittle Raiders sequence. They had the wrong one in Pearl Harbor too.

I will still see this movie just because I love any movie with planes. ?

...Kat

You mean the P-40 pilots who were so skilled they were recruited to fly B-25's off the deck of the USS Hornet for the Doolittle Raid?

Where, indeed, do we find such men?

If I was trying to impress Kate Beckinsale... I would figure it out.

I think it looks great! As mentioned, it would be pretty tough not to use mostly CGI. Im just glad they are telling the story. Its supposed to mostly follow the journey of Dick Best. Commander of Enterprise Bombing Six. I look forward to it!

JD

There will never be a war movie that will please the rivet counters. It’s impossible. Movies don’t teach history. They can however inspire someone to pick up a book. I can think of many that did that for me from the time I was a kid on. Some I’ll see now as an adult and cringe at the inaccuracies. Then I realize that because that movie got me to the library to start reading about the events it was based on, that ultimately it did it’s job.

Just sayin’

pararaftanr2

As JDK points out, with few exceptions, the aircraft and ships of the types used in the battle simply don't exist anymore so CGI was the only alternative. They did go to the trouble of building full sized replicas when possible. From what I've read, and heard from people who were on set, the director and production company were fully educated about the correct historical details of the equipment and dress. Any variations we will see in the finished product were a result of financial restraints, or directorial decisions for dramatic effect. The B-25s in the Doolittle sequence, for example. Only a later model that was flyable, and in the local area, was filmed, so the CGI, although incorrect, was modeled to match that plane, not the real B-25Bs launched from USS Hornet.

38Driver gets it, and put it quite eloquently in his comment.

phantomfixer

There will never be a war movie that will please the rivet counters. It’s impossible. Movies don’t teach history. They can however inspire someone to pick up a book. I can think of many that did that for me from the time I was a kid on. Some I’ll see now as an adult and cringe at the inaccuracies. Then I realize that because that movie got me to the library to start reading about the events it was based on, that ultimately it did it’s job.

Just sayin’

post-155518-0-70999800-1561995878.png

We can only hope this "new", version Midway movie will be better than the original. Just eliminating that silly love story sub-plot would make a big difference. I hope they won't over do the CGI effect in regard to the planes. We don't need another over the top war movie like that horrible Pearl Harbor flick.

• 3 months later...

Bottom line guys, good or bad most of will go see the movie. It’s like buying just one helmet, just one uniform,..... we can’t resist one just more war movie. It’s a matinee movie for me but I will see it and I will see 1917 in December.

Marty

Wow...yep, there's CGI but the new trailer looks pretty awesome. I'm glad my deployment got delayed so we can actually see this in theater instead of on the 28-inch TV in my shop on the ship... :D

I am sure there will be some cringe-worthy scenes and they'll probably get some details wrong too. But, they aren't making the movie for the .00000001% of the population that cares about this stuff. They are trying to make it with as wide of an appeal as possible, and if it can get the attention of a Millennial and pull them away from their phone for two hours...then good on them.

We saw the first trailer in the theater, and it was my 11-year old daughter who came up to me afterwards and told me about how she was looking forward to seeing it...I was pretty darned impressed that she'd even paid attention during the trailer, let alone made a point of wanting to see the movie! (And as with many of us, my kids could give two craps about my collection and military history...)

A WW 2 movie made in 1945 passed over by time is also about Midway A wing and a prayer, its on tube.read about the movie on line.

it was to be called torpedo 8, the movie was filmed on CV-10 the new Yorktown,

A WW 2 movie made in 1945 passed over by time is also about Midway A wing and a prayer, its on tube.read about the movie on line.

Is a good movie...TCM or AMC used to run it all the time...

Government Issue

Another good analysis. No movie is 100% accurate or perfect. I'm amazed at some of the details this one has got correct that are often overlooked.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to this movie tonight and I am happy I did and I was impressed with the history. There is some Hollywood stuff but some pretty accurate history.

It was a empty theater which was surprising to me. if you like history it is well worth ticket price and I think it should be seen on the big screen.

I feared another Pearl Harbor movie when I watched the trailer but no even close to the same.

Two thumbs up from me

BILL THE PATCH

I think Don ameche was in it, unless your old nobody knows who that is. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think Don ameche was in it, unless your old nobody knows who that is. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The younger crowd might know him from Cocoon or Trading Places

post-155518-0-88129400-1573218579.png