MACR's wanted

Missing soldiers

Missing soldiers

I am missing a few MARCs of planes crashed in the Netherlands, anyone can help out:

378a

Thanks in advance

I think he means MACR's or Missing Aircrew Reports.

That's a lot to ask someone to copy over....why not get a subscription to Fold3? They're all on there digitized and easily searchable.

www.fold3.com

I think he means MACR's or Missing Aircrew Reports.

That's a lot to ask someone to copy over....why not get a subscription to Fold3? They're all on there digitized and easily searchable.

www.fold3.com

Ahhhh... that sounds right. They are the among the most informative documents on fold3.com but I don't think you can search them by aircraft number, only by crew names.

I don't think you can search them by aircraft number, only by crew names.

Well maybe you can search by number: I used one of the sought-after file numbers to search fold3 and it came up with this report about a pilot who went down over Holland:

fold312626.jpg

Here's an enlargement of report 12626, to better see what's in these reports (which have multiple pages).

fold1.jpg

fold2.jpg

fold3.jpg

5thwingmarty

On Fold3 you can search by crew member name, MACR number, plane serial number, or basically any word or number.

I had not visited the National Archives site for MACRs until I saw this link. The images look good there and are easily searched as well. It doesn't look like they have added any kind of source identifier to the images either, unlike Fold3 that addes a header to I think the top of every image when downloaded showing it came from that site.

Thanks for posting the link.

Marty

Once you get to that National Archives site using the link provided above, where and how should you enter the search? I immediately notice in the search field a *:*

Let's say I'm wanting to look up one of those MACR's provided above, for example, 9638

Can someone please explain. Thanks.

g1.jpg

5thwingmarty

Just delete the *.* and type 9638 in the box and hit enter. Two files will show up, one for this report and one for a plane that had this number as part of the plane's serial number. Just click on the MACR link for report 9638 and viola it will appear. It looks like a six page report.

I also looked up this report on Fold3, and it is also a six page report on that site. Fold3 was not able to find the report based on the MACR number though. I had to look up the plane's serial number on the NA site and enter it to find the report on Fold3.

Once you get to that National Archives site using the link provided above, where and how should you enter the search? I immediately notice in the search field a *:*

Let's say I'm wanting to look up one of those MACR's provided above, for example, 9638

Can someone please explain. Thanks.

Its a somewhat archaically built site and its response time is a bit slow..

As long as you have the NARA ID selected under refinements, you should be able to override the wildcards in the search field to get results. This is the same for all record groups housed on the NARA site.

As has been alluded to previously, RG92 is only searchable by MACR number, whereas Fold3/Ancestry has the majority of fields indexed and searchable via OCR.

post-5941-0-92290200-1561732280_thumb.jpg