USS LAFFEY DD-724

West-Front

SOS SAVE OUR SHIP!!!

The only Sumner class tin can is sinking.

The USS LAFFEY DD-724 fought at Normandy, Iwo Jima, Philippines and took on 22 kamikazes in 80 minutes at Okinawa. She survived the Korean War and 25 more years of Cold War sailing. She has now sprung some very bad leaks and is need of dry dock service.

As you know the LAFFEY is based at Patriots Point Naval Museum in Charleston, SC. She has been there since 1981.

She is the last of her kind and is taking on water at the rate of 2000 gallons per hour. The pumps are handling it right now but we need your help. To pull her, dredge to get her out of her mooring, tow her up river to the dry dock and repair the bottom will cost in the area of 3 million dollars.

Patriots Point and the Laffey Association are looking for any donations we can get to save this important piece of naval history.

If every member gave just $5.00 it would help immensely. Any ammount you can afford will help save our ship.

Many of you have visited our ship and enjoyed the memories that she brought you. Please do what you can to help preserve this great ship so others can share the experiences that you had aboard your tin can.

Please make checks payable to: Patriots Point Development Authority make notation for SAVE THE LAFFEY on check and envelope..

Mail checks to:

Patriots Point Development Authority

40 Patriots Point Road

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Attn: C.F.O.

Thanks for your help.

Sonny Walker

President

USS LAFFEY ASSOCIATION

http://www.laffey.org/

http://www.patriotspoint.org/exhibits/fleet/laffey.html

Wow, Thanks for the links and info on the Laffey - One of my Dad's uncles was a Radioman on the Laffey (Donald Carter) and I remember some of his stories - he had 32 sizeable wounds on his body from the Kamikaze attack and eventually died young (in the 70's) from his wounds. I would love to see his ship.

I will be sure to donate. These ships need everybody's help, no doubt. What a discrace it would be for our heritage to rot away right underneith our noses. Man, I would hate to see these treasures scrapped.

-Ski

My uncle served on the Laffey from 1969-1972, so this ship is almost like family. I'll definitely be sending a donation.

We can't let the ship that would not die... well... die. crying.gif